Starting Out: Mentorship being sought

Here you will find posts on ideas or dreams for the entrepreneur or small business who wants to utilise CNC or just general brainstorming to make money with a cnc machine
ImagineDragons

Starting Out: Mentorship being sought

Postby ImagineDragons » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:23 am

Hello AmateurCNC community :D :D :D :D
I have been dreaming about purchasing a 3 axis CNC 6040 router. I know that it sounds like a small deal, but it is a big deal to me. I have saved up some cash and will buy one by the end of 2015. However, I am yet to create a foolproof business plan - and I am in the process of designing it right now. I have hit something like a brick wall, though. Why? I have little knowledge about working with CNC machines. :( :?

When I buy it, I would like to begin straight away. That is why I have turned to this community for help and mentorship.
I want to start making some parts and other do other projects ASAP. What can I, as a starter, do to improve my chances? I have always dreamt of making cool stuff for a living - and I have come this far. I hope to get something out of this community. Thanks and sorry if this looks like too much.

Niberzxt

Re: Starting Out: Mentorship being sought

Postby Niberzxt » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:39 pm

Hey man;
I just wanted to give you some motivational insights. Starting small is nice because there’s a potential of growing big step by step. In my view, I think a business depends largely on the individuality of the person and the attitude towards the biz.

Jain756789

Postby Jain756789 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:41 pm

Little know- how or none of it altogether on machines shouldn’t stop you from starting up something. Getting the concept of how to operate a cnc machine is not rocket science. For example, the mechanism behind a router machine that you want to purchase is easy to understand.

concernedmachinist

Postby concernedmachinist » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:42 pm

Welcome to the cnc world. I have a home based machine shop that I operate on with a 3D printing "press" per se. I have encountered few problems in business, but the good part of it is that the problems are manageable. It took me a short time to grasp essential things on how to operate my machine. As a hobbyist for machines, am looking forward to finding other advanced models and software.

lorraine

Postby lorraine » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:44 pm

Hi, well, the challenges of a machine workshop are no different from other businesses. You do not need to be a machinist to operate a cnc machine. Little skill is required though, but the technique is straightforward and easy. One can learn to operate a program on a machine through a video demo or animations.

Lucidlucia

Postby Lucidlucia » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:40 pm

Hi, lack of knowledge shouldn't pull you down or stop you from going on with your plans. Whatever the type of machine you own you can learn the basics via a video tutorial. Cnc machines are automatic and that means little effort. The accuracy of your work entirely depends on the machine and not you.

immortallove

Postby immortallove » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:42 pm

Thanks to you, I am intrigued to be part of this discussion now. I have spent most of my time working with cnc's since my early 20's. I have a great passion working with them, and I can assure anyone with an intention of starting a project or a series of projects to keep planning and executing their plans.

ImagineDragons

Postby ImagineDragons » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:47 pm

That is impressive. So you are saying that everyone should venture into the business? :P

Lucidlucia

Postby Lucidlucia » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:48 pm

Not really, if you have a little background in the field, then this is the career for you.
My shop has sustained its output on production and sales over the years. It is always running on a fresh project here and there. There’s also a room for great creativity and doing what you are passionate about. That is how I came to hire some of the most talented artists in the area - one coming from as far as Portland.

ImagineDragons

Postby ImagineDragons » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:49 pm

Wow that sounds really great! You have something neat going on there. I want in.

Return to “Ideas for small business using CNC”