I want to be a successful cnc operator!

Posts from sucessful entrepreneurs who made it in the world using the power of a small cnc router
Orion2110

Re: I want to be a successful cnc operator!

Postby Orion2110 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:51 pm

Hey, just to add on what you’ve said(Anon1121) I think the possibility of growth in this business is very high in my opinion. I am looking forward to starting a small shop based at my home with a cnc router. I want to customize and design my own products. I will appreciate any advice and opinion from a more experienced person on how to go about it.

Theorigins

Postby Theorigins » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:12 pm

Wow, I always thought that starting a cnc machine business has many challenges just like any other business. But in my opinion I think the success of a business largely depends on a person’s attitude towards that particular business. The machine itself is not the main focus or the problem since its work is well defined as long as it is functional. Therefore the rest is solely left on you to make sure that the business runs effectively.

e80euj2229

Postby e80euj2229 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:13 pm

Yes, I fully support you on that. You can be a good machinist but not very good in entrepreneurship. You will still need some business skills to enter into any business regardless of your know how about the machines.

Niberzxt

Postby Niberzxt » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:14 pm

Huh, well, to persons who are worried about the startup capital I think I have an idea on how to save and budget on your money. You don’t have to own a machine to start your business as a matter of fact.
Instead, you could lease a machine at lower price before considering buying your own machine in the meantime. You also have another option of buying a used machine instead for as long it is operational.
Used machines are quite affordable and most of them can still work up to the task. Therefore not having a machine should not hold you back from starting something. Every other business person starts from somewhere.

e80euj2229

Postby e80euj2229 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:15 pm

Thank you, Thank you Thank you!!!. Totally, my point. if you’re not good as a business person I would suggest on the option of hiring someone with good business skills to manage that part of business while you concentrate on the machining and the production. Although it will cost you more it will still be worth to keep your shop running smoothly.

pleb

Postby pleb » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:16 pm

Well said; but all in all I always believe in having a plan before starting anything. It can be very frustrating when you don’t have a plan to guide you through. A plan largely helps you to prioritize on the most critical things that need the first considerations and also minimizes the challenges that are ahead of you.

albertthegentiler

Postby albertthegentiler » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:17 pm

I think that for a person who is not well informed on the machines or is simply not a machinist can actually dedicate their time to learn a few basics if they’re planning on starting a shop.

That way it will be easier to operate the machine efficiently without incurring any problems. The good thing about cnc machines is that they are easy to learn. If you are a hobbyist you will most definitely learn even the new concepts that come with the upgrading of the machine.

It takes very short time to practice and fully operate if you’re interested. Make sure that the machine you’re choosing for your business is user friendly and has a high production rate both in hardware and software. Aim at getting a high quality and consistent machine that will probably give great results when working.

albertthegentiler

Postby albertthegentiler » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:17 pm

Like starting any other business, be it big or small, have a business plan that will take you through the preparation just like it has been said by a few people.
I have a small business that I run with my milling machine. I can say that the business is okay and is growing steadily fast. When I was starting this business I consulted with an expert for advice in areas that needed more research. I would suggest the same to anyone with any plans to open a shop so as to make this venture easier. Anything else that you might be requiring to get is a license to give your business a permit to operate. Simply apply for a business license from your county office to make sure that you are licensed to operate that kind of a business.

AlmightyJackal9735

Postby AlmightyJackal9735 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:18 pm

Hey, when I was starting my cnc unit shop I was not that well off financially but I still managed somehow. I actually did the advertisement myself. Do your marketing by word of mouth. It is a cheaper way of advertising your products and services. Tell your friends, family, neighbors and generally everyone around you. This method is normally effective as way of starting.

Alligatore

Postby Alligatore » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:19 pm

Nice; this is a great discussion, people! To add on good business strategies and attributes, I suggest that you choose a place with great potential for a good business - as someone else has talked about location. This can be HUGE for your Biz.
You can arrange that with a real estate agent. Oh, another vital factor you need to consider is a business name. A catchy name or an interesting name is likely to capture the attention of potential customers. Choose a unique name that will identify your business specifically.
I called mine the GrillZ and people just flock there for some good reason. They know that after taking lunch in the nearby restaurant, they can custom -make whatever they want from wood. My place and the restaurant is in a symbiotic kind of arrangement - we just complement each other's businesses.

Return to “Tell us your success story!”