A Buying Guide for plasma CNC Machines and its Benefits

The dry stuff all about starting a business including paperwork, addresses, government agencies, funding, taxes all to help you with your ideas in the world of cnc
AlmightyJackal9735

A Buying Guide for plasma CNC Machines and its Benefits

Postby AlmightyJackal9735 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:49 am

CNC machines are sold by many manufacturers at different market prices. These machines are advertised as quality and affordable, with no company claiming the contrary. Quality CNC machines are not cheap and purchasing the right machine may prove to be a challenge. Here is a guide to help you make the right choice.

1.Cutting speed
It is important to go through the manufacturer’s description on the cutting speed before making your decision. High amperage machines have a faster cutting speed than those with low amperage. If you are in a production industry, choose a machine which can handle twice the normal thickness since it allows quick cuts.

2.The thickness of the metal

First, decide on the metal thickness before making your choice. Plasma cutting machines are designed differently to cut materials of different thickness. These machines also have different amperage.
For thick metals, go for machines with low amperage and high amperage for thin materials.

3.Its capability to withstand dust
CNC machines produce a lot of dust and smoke during its operation. Therefore, you should look for a machine that can withstand these conditions. You can also ask the vendor about the machines capability. Make sure you pick the right machine especially when you are dealing with messy operations.

4.The consumables
Plasma cutter consumables include the nozzle and the electrode. Manufacturer’s description will include the life time of these consumables. It is best to calculate the cost of these consumable basing on how the plasma cutter will be used. Going for an expensive plasma cutter whose consumables have a longer life span may save your money in the long run.

5.Portability
Portability is also a very crucial factor to consider. If your company requires you to carry the plasma cutter, weight and size must be taken into consideration. Less weight machines are easier to move around, less bulky and comfortable.

6.Safety
This is also very crucial when buying your machine. Some machines provide a nozzle-in place safety sensor. This sensor limits the plasma cutter from operating without a nozzle.
Some Plasma cutters also produce a pre flow sequence which warns the operator when the machine starts arcing.
If you are still not sure of the type of machine to go for, look for a good plasma cutter guide. However, these are some of the things to consider before purchasing a plasma cutter machine.

3DPRO

Re: A Buying Guide for plasma CNC Machines and its Benefits

Postby 3DPRO » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:32 pm

How are you?
That was a whole hell of awesome tips. You are doing a great job. I feel like I know how to operate a plasma cutter even though I haven’t handled one. Nice, bro.
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Alligatore

Postby Alligatore » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:34 pm

Hi, In addition, cut on clean solid ground to avoid damage of arcs which easily breaks on contact with paint and rust. We should hang out sometime. :arrow: :D

0.98-0000000g

Postby 0.98-0000000g » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:36 pm

I don’t understand a thing about keeping air dry. Does it mean when my arcs are unstable, I was using wet air? More explanation would have been better. :?

Arapsamoei

Postby Arapsamoei » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:38 pm

Reading the manual is crap. This is like reading the magazine. I wonder if I will be able to set up the machine without an expert. Maybe customer service is appropriate. :twisted:
What is the difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers?
Mechanical Engineers build weapons. Civil Engineers build targets.

Mailmepizza

Postby Mailmepizza » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:43 pm

Your tips are relevant. Forget about these idiotic trolls - looking at you, "Arapsamoei." Still need explanation on controlling the slag from entering the torch nozzle?

anyway recently, my neighbor had brought a plasma cutter. Theoretically, I knew how to operate but staring at the whole thing made me to freeze. Were it not for the manual, I reckon the guy could have incurred more cost looking for an expert. We just assembled the whole system and within an hour we were set.

blerberque

Postby blerberque » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:45 pm

Those plasma nozzles are so delicate. Other than unstable arcs, what is the worst case scenario that can happen when slags pile up in the nozzle?

hambala

Postby hambala » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:47 pm

Are there short cuts? Hacks? Protips? Just wondering.
Normal people ... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."

3DPRO

Postby 3DPRO » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:50 pm

Manuals are not meant to lie in the trash can. Ask me why? They are a good point of reference. I have used a plasma machines for more than 5 years but I still look on the manual for clarity. That's how I roll - ah, if only it were that serious. :lol: Just kidding- they are great as a way to start off.
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

phillitusmundus

Postby phillitusmundus » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:53 pm

Making samples is very essential. This is not only for beginners. I make2-3 samples before continuing with the normal operation. With making samples, I can directly adjust my machine well.

Return to “Starting a business”