There are no limits!

Posts from sucessful entrepreneurs who made it in the world using the power of a small cnc router
scarface

There are no limits!

Postby scarface » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:52 pm

Our company makes a huge variety of products and it relies heavily on CNC. It started out as a smallish outfit in the 90's and has grown substantially into a small warehouse with its design wing and studios. We manufacture a wide range of products, mainly parts of instruments, custom furniture additions and whatever our customers order. Our big break came when we got a dentist from a major hospital come and order some pre-made dental ceramics foe filling the teeth of their customers. They needed pre-cut zirconia for their clients and this is what we delivered.

The dentist was a great fellow. He kept referring people over to our labs and we would get something custom-made for them. It was not an easy task. Sometimes, the client came back and demanded a redo of the job because we made the wrong cut here and there. All in all, we faced our small challenges but we learned from the mistakes.

The difference between then and now is that we now have a database of designs that we have collected over the years and we keep on updating them. Tech keeps evolving but we evolve with it. That is how to stay ahead in business and indeed, any other aspect of life that comes with competition.

I am available on this forum for any questions you may raise. Let's hear them!

Villefiere

Re: There are no limits!

Postby Villefiere » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:02 pm

This reminds me of another family business back in Wales which makes walking aids for people who have lost their legs. I don't remember the name of the place :?: :?: but I heard that they got lots of attention for making (prosthetic?) legs for those people who had lost their legs in accidents or war.
They started out servicing patients from a hospital in the area - then they established an official business which was dedicated to creating limbs for amputees. I am not sure whether they use CNC or not, though. I am not even sure whether you can use a router for this kind of work.

ConfusedM

Postby ConfusedM » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:05 pm

That sounds really interesting. How is it even possible that you make body parts like teeth on the using a CNC machine? I do not get it - aren’t the machines too big for that kind of work? Or do you have microscopic routers??? :?:

scarface

Postby scarface » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:18 pm

This work is a combination of meticulous planning and using cutting-edge technology - literally in both counts. First, we make a CAD design that will ensure precision machining. And by precision, I mean down to the last micron. The reason for this is that there are numerous factors that will determine a perfect outcome at that scale of things.
You see, Zircon is a shrinking raw material for use. Between the phases of machining and sintering the tooth, we have to ensure that there is an allowance for the shrinkage that must occur in the process.
So, what do we do? We first use an open process that we borrowed during our benchmarking exercise in the US - the use of sintering instead of hard-milling.
The raw zirconia is divided into pieces that are roughly the size of a tooth (ok, perhaps give a 150% scale). We then take the small pieces and fire them at temperatures above 1500 degrees (which is essentially the sintering process). This goes on for at least 10 hours, to ensure that the integrity of the material.
We then machine the copings to precise measurements in a 2-step procedure. First, we put it through rough cutting, using a 3mm ball end mill - which is then followed by similar finishing using a 1mm ball end mill.
Finally, we put it through further hardening using a turbine wheel and that is it!

ConfusedM

Postby ConfusedM » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:25 pm

Wow… thanks, Glad I asked. That opens a whole new perspective for me. So, why break them down then machine them? Why not just machine them as they are?

PembertonIII

Postby PembertonIII » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:28 pm

Guy has a point -solid logic right there.

scarface

Postby scarface » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:29 pm

Actually, this is very important. I learnt from an operator earlier on that there are bound to be higher costs of machining large blocks as opposed to smaller blocks. But I think the real reason is to save on the costs of the diamond drill bits - by using the 1 and 3 mm end mills, you get a lot done with much less force being applied to ensure the machining is perfect.

Marksman311

Postby Marksman311 » Sun May 03, 2015 3:07 am

this is a unique angle which makes the most sense... bravo
Why procrastinate today? When you can do it tomorrow!

scarface

Postby scarface » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:38 pm

Thank you. I have come to appreciate the importance of mixing the right talent with the right tools in life. It does not flow seamlessly but its fantastic.

21dhsan8hewub

Postby 21dhsan8hewub » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:34 am

I read that in the voice of Homer Simpson - its priceless. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Return to “Tell us your success story!”