I want to be a successful cnc operator!

Posts from sucessful entrepreneurs who made it in the world using the power of a small cnc router
ximeon

I want to be a successful cnc operator!

Postby ximeon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:18 pm

I am looking for suggestion on something cool to makes on a CNC machine. I want to make multiple parts but both visual and functional. I am still not certain of what to make. I first need to know what Amateur CNC folks make/ would make when they have access to CNC router.

0.98-0000000g

Re: I want to be a successful cnc operator!

Postby 0.98-0000000g » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:06 pm

Actually, there is nothing you can’t make using a CNC machine. The list is huge. You are only limited by your imagination. For more clear ideas you can look up for CNCookbook. The site has everything you never imagined you can make using CNC machine.

Insignia

Postby Insignia » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:08 pm

You could make musical instruments. A small Badog CNC router is perfect for this job, as you can see in the Instagram page of the maker. You can cut your instrument with exact precision and add fine decorations on it. Which instruments can you exactly make? Simple instruments like the drums, xylophones and even the complex one including dulcimer.

AlmightyJackal9735

Postby AlmightyJackal9735 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:09 pm

Yes, you are right about the CNCCookbooks. I went through a couple of their projects before finally settling down. Currently, I am making miniature models of buildings using my tool. I have an architect who is now my regular customer - just coming in for the miniatures for the designs he wishes to pitch to his clients.
The main challenge I encounter during the operation is creating the model in sections. This is as a result of a part of the buildings having different shapes than the preceding. The best part is in this job is after the whole model is complete. The whole thing looks adorable just with touches of attractive materials.

albertthegentiler

Postby albertthegentiler » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:23 pm

I have a 4x8 inch CNC tool that I personally use, aside from the regular warehouse CNC's of our business. I use it to make cabinets, toy cars and trucks and also book cases; among other objects with the same theme.
I use the machine to make almost everything. In my world, I don’t throw away old furniture. I go to the stores and restore the antiques and make patterns for the curved molding. Some time it may take me hours to figure out what I want to do with the materials. My drafting table and auto cad saves me a lot of time.

Brentjamintheotter

Postby Brentjamintheotter » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:24 pm

I use my DIY CNC machine to make small parts for machinery. The machine simply mills or drills holes and cuts out parts. There are more than 101 uses on a CNC machine. Don’t limit yourself.

AudiRX

Postby AudiRX » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:25 pm

If you are a hobbyist, I suggest that you can make cookie stamps. A CNC machine enables you to cut different kinds of materials into various shapes and sizes. Therefore you can machine a picture into the surface of food-safe material (like wood) and use it as a stamp for your unbaked cookies.

indolentpotato

Postby indolentpotato » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:30 pm

Interesting huh? And the fun has not even begun yet. I concur with someone who just said they are adorable. The job is sometimes so perfectly done that you wish to keep whatever you have made for yourself, or gift it to someone when you are feeling generous. Wait till you make the food using the stamp.

T3hTig3r

Postby T3hTig3r » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:31 pm

I think it all depends on the size of your machine. If you have a machine 30X30 inches size you can make bigger and better parts.

Anon1121

Postby Anon1121 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:33 pm

I once built a modified JGRO router and I used it for all sorts of operations. Sometimes, I use it to make patterns, signs and cutting some metal sheet wing ribs out. I also used the JGRO router to make some patterns out of foam and then use the lost foam casting process to turn them into aluminum.

Return to “Tell us your success story!”