New Member from Cairo

Posts from sucessful entrepreneurs who made it in the world using the power of a small cnc router
Tsunami

New Member from Cairo

Postby Tsunami » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:18 am

I recently retired from active military duty and I have been always interested in making my own CNC. Now that I have some time to myself, and a few pounds in budget (around 5500 EGP, or about $700). I know this is modest but I have a plan.

I am looking to setup a small router, based on my own design but inspired by some various designs I have been gathering all around in about 30 sites or there abouts. I was also inspired by the rise in 3d printing. The measurement of the router will be 1.2 by 0.3 (meters). The base material will be MDF which is moisture-resistant, and timber that has been cut to precision.

For the axes, I would prefer the x and y axes to be from accuride linear motion tracks (and even the carriages will feature the same). Due to my said budget, I am thinking of using draw slides, so long as they are of good quality.

I am also thinking of using Nema steppers, though I am not yet sure which one to use. Unfortunately, I am completely unsure of which electronic setup to go for, though I am drawn to an Arduino setup.

I am looking for success stories, especially with guys who have succeeded in doing this sort of thing before. I am looking forward to expert advice, as I think it will be of immesse help seeing as I have a limited budget. Thank you all! :!:

Stromae

Re: New Member from Cairo

Postby Stromae » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:33 am

I think I might be able to help you with the axis controls over there. Here is a ready made micronc kit, for 1 to 4 axes, and I am sure it will save you big time...

5so95n
Site Admin

Postby 5so95n » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:39 am

On the same note, for NEMA steppers, here is a wonderful resource[http://www.linengineering.com/stepper-motors/] I hope you get something that brings you success.

Tsunami

Postby Tsunami » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:42 am

I am very thankful for these, I will be sure to check them out and tell you what else I need. :D :D :D :D :D :D

FireCNC

Postby FireCNC » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:46 am

Hellow Tsunami,

welcome to this community! I hope your project would be a success, but from what you've said, it is clear that you know your way around hobby routers. Pardon my asking, but did you by any chance use them in the military? Thanks, FireCNC.
Never let any mechanical device know that you are in a hurry.

Tsunami

Postby Tsunami » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:51 am

Ah, not really, as I was a reservist, I and a few friends worked our free time on a 4by4 bed Pacer, which kindled my passion for NC's in general and routers in particular. Thanks for asking!

FireCNC

Postby FireCNC » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:52 am

Oh, ok – that explains a lot! Thanks too for the answer and have fun in the community. Hopefully you will find value here!

FamousYouTuber

Postby FamousYouTuber » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:57 am

Hi, I didn't know Cairo and Sarajevo were in the same country! Anyways, how does the flatbed Pacer compare with Isel or Badog Artisan?

Tsunami

Postby Tsunami » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:01 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: I have resided in the two cities before! Sarajevo is in the Bosnia and Herzegovina, while Cairo is in Egypt. I haven't had the pleasure of working with the Isel or Badog before... I am not sure how they compare!

FireCNC

Postby FireCNC » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:06 am

Nevertheless, Tsunami, I suggest that you start a small log of your building process. Document every pound that you use. $700 is a really, really modest budget, (as you've said it yourself) when it comes to setting up your machine.

Return to “Tell us your success story!”