Share your business insight!

Posts from sucessful entrepreneurs who made it in the world using the power of a small cnc router
memento

Share your business insight!

Postby memento » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:41 pm

I have been designing using my CAD program, mostly miniatures and prototypes. I would like to buy/rent/operate a CNC machine one day, when time and circumstances allow. I wonder what the experience is like. Anyone with a CNC machine here?

I would appreciate any insight into the trade. If there are businessmen in this forum, who have had success with plasma, 2d machines and general CNC/s please let me know how you went about it if you don't mind. (is it something you could invest in and rely for paying bills?)

3DPRO

Re: Share your business insight!

Postby 3DPRO » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi Memento,

what kind of experience do you have? If you are an amateur, you may want to start off with something small, like a small lathe or a milling machine e.g. Badog X2 or X3. This depends on your background with metalworking or milling for wood. :idea: :ugeek:
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

memento

Postby memento » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:38 pm

Whatsup 3DPro? Sorry, I was actually asking about the business angle of the industry. Is it possible to make cash using the trade? I need something between a testimonial and maybe some project ideas that I should focus on, to maybe to start a business.

I forgot to add that aside from the designs I have been making, I have never actually run a CNC machine before. I am a fast learner (no, really, not to toot my own horn :) ) - hence I want something that I can really get versed in and establish a profession around.

I have been googling around for the projected returns, and I get figures of making as much as $10k per year on full-time basis. I am checking in to see if these figures are realistic.

Chronon

Postby Chronon » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:46 pm

I think I may be of a little help OP. I have been working in a machining shop and I can offer a bit of insight about the business.
Like any other business, it depends on some factors like location and demand of the products you make. One arm of our operations deals with metal-castings - which is a pretty easy thing to do; and has a HUGE profit margin.

To someone who is aspiring about getting started here, it pays to do a little research first. What are you specifically going to focus upon? Do you want to use plasma cutters or CNCs with drill bits? Some of the biggest expenses we have over here come from the drillbits which have to be replaced regularly. If you want to consider getting plasma cutters, there is the small question of the electricity bill that is associated with it.
My humble opinion is that you make your mind about what to venture into, first and foremost.

memento

Postby memento » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:47 pm

I hear you. I have known that the cost of the CNC tools can be quite high. That is why I have been looking towards plasma. :oops:

falanyani

Postby falanyani » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:51 pm

memento wrote:I hear you. I have known that the cost of the CNC tools can be quite high. That is why I have been looking towards plasma. :oops:

I beg to differ about CNC tooling being expensive. It all depends on the setup of the machines. It depends on the nature of material being drilled, the amount of rounds per minute and if you are pushing it hard enough. This cost should not deter you from pursuing the dreams that you have, since the returns are also quite handsome, considering the fact that you already know how to make prototypes by yourself. I say you give them a chance and you won't be disappointed.

Merdusa

Postby Merdusa » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:52 pm

There are lots of resources around that can help you set up and build your own CNC machine, if you have the drive to do things yourself. You can make something for casting metals, etc. However, I am yet to see someone make something for cutting metals - I guess that this would be somewhat more decked than average. But good thing going though.

memento

Postby memento » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:53 pm

Thanks guys, this is of great help and I appreciate it. :|

falanyani

Postby falanyani » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:56 pm

No biggie :D

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu May 21, 2015 10:05 am

I wonder what challenges there are when starting from scratch, apart from the obvious one that you need a good consumer base...

Return to “Tell us your success story!”