Anyone experienced with starting a Fab Lab?

Here you will find posts on ideas or dreams for the entrepreneur or small business who wants to utilise CNC or just general brainstorming to make money with a cnc machine
petreT

Anyone experienced with starting a Fab Lab?

Postby petreT » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:08 pm

Hello folks.. What would be the most key machines for a Fab Lab?

Lucidlucia

Re: Anyone experienced with starting a Fab Lab?

Postby Lucidlucia » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:16 pm

Just because you used the word you are bound by the model of MIT im not sure what it is exactly but i think that teh word FAB LAB is trademarked and you need a certain number of machines to conform to their code of ethics. but with that said... I would say the four most vital ones would be the laser cutter, router, vinyl cutter and a milling machine.

shaPeoko

Postby shaPeoko » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:27 pm

That's a very good list though i would have expected the 3D printer to rank very highly among the ones you already mentioned. they are quite useless in my opinion but they are quite trendy at the moment

Lucidlucia

Postby Lucidlucia » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:43 pm

Definitely Yes ShaPeoko. The 3D printer is also key. Can't imagine i left it out of my list.

HollyMolly

Postby HollyMolly » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:22 am

Never opened one myself but i have been to a couple around Europe and USA. Seems they take them a little more seriously in the states than in Europe. Anyway the model that you mentioned before is the MIT model and allows being able to prototype just about anything. Here is the list of required machines to use the model of this business. After you get all this then you just register with them offer free classes once a week and collaborate with the other companies

A computer-controlled lasercutter, for press-fit assembly of 3D structures from 2D parts
A larger (4'x8') numerically-controlled milling machine, for making furniture- (and house-) sized parts
A signcutter, to produce printing masks, flexible circuits, and antennas
A precision (micron resolution) milling machine to make three-dimensional molds and surface-mount circuit boards
Programming tools for low-cost high-speed embedded processors

Return to “Ideas for small business using CNC”