Measures Taken by Employers to Deal with Fewer Machinists

Here you will find posts on ideas or dreams for the entrepreneur or small business who wants to utilise CNC or just general brainstorming to make money with a cnc machine
Maouritania

Measures Taken by Employers to Deal with Fewer Machinists

Postby Maouritania » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:33 pm

Unemployment rates are still high, about 9%. However; the few people who are employed don’t meet the required standards. There are still few machinists forcing the employers to look for other alternatives. These employers are not doing much to improve the workers situations but they are implementing measures which are to their own benefit.

Here are some measures taken by employers to deal with the situation

#1.Shifting to CNCs
CNC machines are efficient and more advanced than other machines. By shifting to CNCs, the employers are simply solving their own problems including reducing human error, increasing productivity. Workers problem is still not solved. In fact a new problem arises that is finding a qualified CNC operator.
Some operators are not skilled in their area of work. They have no knowledge about speed and feeds. The worst case is dealing with the machine when it breaks down.

#2.Outsourcing
Outsourcing to other parts of the world is a short term measure. Initially, before the onset CNCs, manufacturers could take a longer time to complete on setup a series of manual machine let alone a complex one. There are still lots of manufacturing shops in Asia that operate this way. Outsourcing of jobs is not cost effective and big companies would not consider the business.
Moreover, most jobs still have a problem finding the right machinists.

#3.Poaching skilled machinists
This is becoming a common practice among companies. Companies are simply enticing good machinists from other companies for them. It is easy to work with good company, when you are skilled. If you are not absorbed in the system then, you have a problem.
Simply put, companies not training new machinists but are wooing those from other companies or taking in those who are ready up and going.

lorraine

Re: Measures Taken by Employers to Deal with Fewer Machinists

Postby lorraine » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi. Those are very interesting points there Maouritania. In your own opinion, what do you think can be done to solve this whole mess?

GratefulTuna

Postby GratefulTuna » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:36 pm

I think companies should simply train more CNC operators to deal with the deficiency in state of poaching from their competitors. There is no other simple way out.
Even though, employers seem to have found an automated machine which can do almost everything effectively and efficiently, they still human labor. Why human labor?
Human labor is required to monitor the machine as it operates and to reset it in case of mistakes. My point is employers can not completely do away with machinist. CNC machines need to be coded to perform the intended purpose.
Imagine having a machine with a blade running at 20k rpm on a material. Take your eyes off the thing for a few seconds and lots of harm can happen. Just imagine what will happen if the material has some tough parts, with uneven texture - or unequally plastic, tensile strength.
wood-596419__180.jpg
wood
wood-596419__180.jpg (16 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
. Bits and pieces of material can be flying in all directions within no time. Ask me about it.

Therefore, there is no substitute for human labor in this industry. I know, people may say, "meh - everything is being automated nowadays, etc." No its not.

caleb

Postby caleb » Fri May 08, 2015 6:32 pm

This is quite insightful, fellows! A pizza each!

e80euj2229

Postby e80euj2229 » Mon May 18, 2015 1:06 am

This is quite a sad picture that is painted of the trends in the industries are people are shifting towards automated technologies. For this reason, some guys that are very skilled are unemployable while those who are not that skilled are looking for jobs.

Gramminachi

Postby Gramminachi » Mon May 18, 2015 1:08 am

e80euj2229 wrote:This is quite a sad picture that is painted of the trends in the industries are people are shifting towards automated technologies. For this reason, some guys that are very skilled are unemployable while those who are not that skilled are looking for jobs.
How do you mean when you say skilled people are unemployable? I thought it should be the other way around?

e80euj2229

Postby e80euj2229 » Mon May 18, 2015 1:10 am

Some people who are quite experienced with operating machines and using them to make cool things cannot be employed - perhaps due to their rates for doing such stuff.

Gramminachi

Postby Gramminachi » Mon May 18, 2015 1:13 am

Oh yeah, I see. But if I could find someone who knows their way around making valuable stuff quickly I would entice him with something attractive. It makes sense to get paid than to make something for free, right?

OneThirtyThursday

Postby OneThirtyThursday » Mon May 18, 2015 1:18 am

Gramminachi wrote:Oh yeah, I see. But if I could find someone who knows their way around making valuable stuff quickly I would entice him with something attractive. It makes sense to get paid than to make something for free, right?
Wrong. Some people are happy doing their stuff on a DIY basis. They just enjoy the process, not the result.

e80euj2229

Postby e80euj2229 » Mon May 18, 2015 1:20 am

Exactly what I mean. Some experts cannot simply be afforded.

Return to “Ideas for small business using CNC”