career ideas

Introduce yourself so we know who you are, your dreams, your job or even your technology and tools you have at your dispense
cocodancer

career ideas

Postby cocodancer » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:51 pm

hi, i stumbled on this forum as I was looking for advice from fellow machinists. A bit of background information - I am currently pursuing my studies in Machinery - but majoring on woodworking and carving using CNC. I am a pro in coding - a superstar in my class, even. I was drawn into the field by the promise of operating huge machines and coming up with precise products. I have come a long way since then, realising that my passion lies in the design and production of artistic items. Which brings me to the troubling part.

I have been thinking long and hard about my future. I am currently 23 and just heading out into the field in a couple of years. I wonder where I will be employed, what I might go and earn and if it is worth making a living out of it. I really love operating these machines and doing cool things with my life.

I guess my question is about the insight of the future prospects. is there a way of judging how the market will be in a few years? what are the developments in the industry that might treathen long term thing?

Secondly, i saw that this forum is about hobby cncs. I wonder if I am doing it right by thinking about this as a full time career. how do you guys do it? Is there a method to it, like perhaps dedicating some hours of the week to machinery and having another main job on the side? I am honestly thinking that I am joking with my career.

sorry if this is no place for career fairs, please let me know if this does not belong here. thanks.

Moseti

Re: career ideas

Postby Moseti » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:55 pm

Hey cocodancer, I am sure you can ask such questions in the forum general discussion board, so long as you obey the rules. I would like you to consider a career in industrial automation. It seems like a place where you'd build on your passion, as you have described it. Those are my two cents. :P

grammyawarder

Postby grammyawarder » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:58 pm

OP, you are really talented in marketing yourself. If I were someone interviewing people for a job, then I heard you sell yourself like that; I would probably have hired you. look for a job and make it up as you go - 23 is still quite young to look for something permanent. Keep looking and I hope you get something worth your time and attention. Goodspeed brother. :D :D :D

Marksman311

Postby Marksman311 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:00 pm

manufacturing. a background like yours is what hiring managers would kill for in the industry. The manufacturing sector has different openings for people like OP, such as planning, drafting, lean estimation, programming and even simple inspection.
On the other hand, if you can venture into a robotic farm or a factory that has CNC mills, you will possibly have a long illustrious career - possibly having even your own business. Keep us posted, we are here to rally behind machinists.
Why procrastinate today? When you can do it tomorrow!

BrokenPedal

Postby BrokenPedal » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:06 pm

Hey Coco, have you ever considered mechanical engineering before? You can make a killing there, you know?

cocodancer

Postby cocodancer » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:07 pm

Actually, yes. I have thought of different possibilities on the area, yet I can't seem to make up my mind on any of them. The problem is that I am concerned about the time sink that our education system has become. Taking mechanical engineering will be too much of an opportunity cost, I think I will pass on that. Thanks for your suggestion, though!

BrokenPedal

Postby BrokenPedal » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:09 pm

Oh hell no! I did not mean to intrude into your plans. btw IMO, cnc operators get a decent salary, perhaps even enough to help you have a hobby on the side. Even though the career path is quite not as rewarding as being an engineer, it is good enough. :P :D :P

OImperial

Postby OImperial » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:15 pm

Wishing you all the best COCODANCER! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

VAnz

Postby VAnz » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:16 pm

Mechanical engineering still remains a viable career path for the future. You should not deny yourself such a glorious education opportunity cocodancer. Join the university if you can.

Breathe

Postby Breathe » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:25 pm

I too was faced with the same dilemma a couple of years ago. I wanted to follow my passion and remain as a CNC operator but my dad insisted that i should go to the university and see what else i could learn there. I agreed with him reluctantly but till todayi have never came to regret that decision. I advise that you do the same cocodancer.

Return to “Introductions”