RC Models for Routing and Building

Here you can talk about anything you want that doesn't fall under any other heading
Meave

RC Models for Routing and Building

Postby Meave » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:21 pm

For some few years, I have developed interests on RC model airplanes. I have got electronics such as motors, radio, batteries and also CNC. So I thought to myself; Can’t I use this to make my own model?
Somebody here must be doing something about RC planes. My concern is how they are cut. It is easy with foam but I would like to know how to go about with balsa. I have also found another option; I would insert my pdf format into my CAD software .This would allow me to scale and also program the CAM. I have used solid works in the past and I know that this will allow me to import images and make 3D of every piece and finally assemble .to be frank, all this would consume a lot of time roughly 50hrs.Is this the easiest method?

TheGambler

Re: RC Models for Routing and Building

Postby TheGambler » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:28 pm

To me I just find fun in taking 40+hours and given the fact that I would ensure it properly fit and can allow modification in accordance to my needs. I can just download three views namely the front, side and top which is enough for basic outline. I then insert into my CAD and apply suitable scaling. You can play around with to suit your needs .Because of precision, you need to be a bit tidy, I prefer you use liteply. Balsa is not that good with CNC cut and that a frayed edge and with a trial to lighten will see it break. Liteply is excellent to work with .it can comfortably hold a clean edge with more stability and can also remove some weight by cutting off some material.

Rosebella

Postby Rosebella » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:55 pm

I advice that you check the profili software , I think it deals on what you are asking. I basically haven’t used it but I saw this sometimes back while busy on Google.

Gladod

Postby Gladod » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:02 pm

Initially you always will find you are consuming more time, but when you get used to, you will definitely consume less time. I recall the first time I used Solid Works, I thought I would never grasp it with ease, but I can do even complex parts in just some small time. Solid Works like most other software has each part having different configurations. You can make relevant changes that suits you to the different configurations of the first part in same model file. this would definitely save your time when it comes to 3d assembly.

TheGambler

Postby TheGambler » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:06 pm

For me, I download from notable sites as such as aerofred, outerzones and do online conversion into jpg. I then have to import as reference images into Dradtsight.i then trace, nest and cut using balsa and liteply. Lite ply is better when I compare with balsa but when dealing with a sharp cutter and also have speeds and feeds right, then balsa can also do it well. So , I would like to know the kind of plane you are interested in making

Meave

Postby Meave » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:13 pm

I am particularly carried off by P51-D Mustang. It looks to me as though it is a great model. I would do this with Fusion 360 though I have a great liking for SW. I have got an assembly of electronics like brushless motor, relevant metal bearing as well as servo motors. I think I should also add a 2.4GHz radio

Return to “General Discussion”