The Origin of CNC

Here you can talk about anything you want that doesn't fall under any other heading
Julia

The Origin of CNC

Postby Julia » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:46 pm

Roomer has it that CNC technology invention came up during the World War II since the aircraft industry saw the need to start manufacturing complex and precise complex parts. John Parsons is the man accredited with developing the concept of numerical control while engaging in an attempt to manufacture congealed skin for airplanes. The Air Force took over his concept and started several research projects, done at MIT. This dates back to 1949.

John T. Parsons and Frank L. Stulen later worked together using computer methods to find solutions hindrances in machining. They were able to perform accurate interpolation of curves, just like ones seen on helicopter blades.
The two aimed to produce smoother routers and that was their main goal but thanks to their efforts, this dynamic duo was able to create an early version of NC. The resulting system could generate numbers for accurate and composite and accurate outputs. After this Parsons thought of a completely automated tool that exceeded the NC system's performance. He met with the head of Servomechanisms Laboratory at MIT, Gordon S. Brown, in 1949 to discuss the way forward in building a feedback system capable of measuring the capabilities of the numerical controls.

HearsaWho

Re: The Origin of CNC

Postby HearsaWho » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:24 pm

whoa, didn't know for sure what the origins were!

ICarveBoobs

Postby ICarveBoobs » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:28 pm

John T. Parsons and Frank L. Stulen are the great men of this industry. I propose that CNC should honor them for their early contributions. Something should be named after them. :ugeek:

Marksman311

Postby Marksman311 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:47 am

There have certainly been an explosion of the uptake of small hobby routers in the recent years.
Why procrastinate today? When you can do it tomorrow!

digifapper

Postby digifapper » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:19 pm

That's very true Marksman311. CNC has more than proven itself to be an economic tool and technology revolutionist of our age.

maggieM

Postby maggieM » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:30 pm

Thumbs up to CNC. Thanks to you my husband and i now have a career..

BizManey

Postby BizManey » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:56 am

Wow.. You are very lucky Maggie. What does your family specialize in?

Bassam

Postby Bassam » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:44 am

Sure. This is a place of great minds. I have learned a from this forum and My CNC business is growing..

Return to “General Discussion”