Stain Safety

Other technical advice, how to engrave on wood with a 30$ laser for example
Talai

Stain Safety

Postby Talai » Sun May 08, 2016 7:50 am

Hi guys,
Being new to woodworking, I am very cautious not to make some silly mistakes. What is the risk behind stain soaked paper towels, racks and cardboard? My question is particularly for cardboard. When it gets stained, I wipe it ‘dry’ using a rag or paper towel. Does it pose a risk of spontaneous combustion? I use the General Finishes Brown Mahogany Gel Stain.

Shinybullet

Re: Stain Safety

Postby Shinybullet » Sun May 08, 2016 7:52 am

One of the most risk stains is the linseed oil. I call it the “bad boy” in when it comes to spontaneous combustion.

Vintage

Postby Vintage » Sun May 08, 2016 7:53 am

Talai wrote:Hi guys,
Being new to woodworking, I am very cautious not to make some silly mistakes. What is the risk behind stain soaked paper towels, racks and cardboard? My question is particularly for cardboard. When it gets stained, I wipe it ‘dry’ using a rag or paper towel. Does it pose a risk of spontaneous combustion? I use the General Finishes Brown Mahogany Gel Stain.
I guess that would depend on the amount of stain that you use. If the paper towel or rag becomes heavy with the stains, then there is a risk. You need to thoroughly rinse them.

Don

Postby Don » Sun May 08, 2016 7:55 am

I know of the risk of spontaneous combustion in stained cloths or paper towels but haven’t heard of cardboards.

hambala

Postby hambala » Sun May 08, 2016 8:01 am

I use TSB and paint thinner and water to rinse rags and paper towels. Precaution No One!
Normal people ... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."

EverDream

Postby EverDream » Sun May 08, 2016 8:02 am

Hi, it’s important to take complete precautions. If you go Google today, you will see insurance companies asking fire departments and their customers to advice the public on how to properly handle paper towels and rags used to wipe stains. Why would an insurance company spend money to advertise such simple thing?

Mi_amore

Postby Mi_amore » Sun May 08, 2016 8:03 am

Fire hazard with rags and cardboard? Have never heard of that. I just throw mine to garbage.

vinkiP

Postby vinkiP » Sun May 08, 2016 8:05 am

Big risk lies with the oil based stains. Rags and cardboards will not catch fire. Just one rag alone will not just catch fire. However, if you have a big pile of rags that are soaked, be careful as they can catch fire. A serious fire.

Return to “Other technical advice”