Want to add mattress support slats to the bed Frame

Other technical advice, how to engrave on wood with a 30$ laser for example
jamlekP

Want to add mattress support slats to the bed Frame

Postby jamlekP » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:51 am

I want to add some bed slats to a bed frame as per the requirements of the new mattress’s manufacturer. About 5 slats are required. I am planning to rest the slats on the wood ledges attached to the side rails but am not sure if this will let the top[ slats to be on same level as the top of the ledges. This will not raise the mattress height. The slat is 62 inches long. The sagulator tells me that a 2x4with 3 ¼ inches side facing up is good. The ledges measure 1.5” wide and 2” high. What are your recommendations guys?
Jam

Tigtag

Re: Want to add mattress support slats to the bed Frame

Postby Tigtag » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:52 am

jamlekP wrote:I want to add some bed slats to a bed frame as per the requirements of the new mattress’s manufacturer. About 5 slats are required. I am planning to rest the slats on the wood ledges attached to the side rails but am not sure if this will let the top[ slats to be on same level as the top of the ledges. This will not raise the mattress height. The slat is 62 inches long. The sagulator tells me that a 2x4with 3 ¼ inches side facing up is good. The ledges measure 1.5” wide and 2” high. What are your recommendations guys?
Jam
I would recommend that you add some “buckets’’ to the ledgers’ faces. To make a very strong connection, you could lay a fence bracket over on its side.

NwBie67

Postby NwBie67 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:55 am

It’s just two months or so when I did something similar to what you are planning to do. I just used 1x6’s (10 of them). I placed all of the on the side supports that already existed.

jamlekP

Postby jamlekP » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:56 am

NwBie67 wrote:It’s just two months or so when I did something similar to what you are planning to do. I just used 1x6’s (10 of them). I placed all of the on the side supports that already existed.
Though this seems to be the right way to do, I fear that it will add a height of about 0.75” to the mattress’s height. That’s would be a lot of unwanted height.

BigBoss

Postby BigBoss » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:59 am

Jam, NwBie67 is talking about keeping the ledge and using 1x6, you are talking of doing away with the Ledge and using the 2X4. There will no increase in height.

jamlekP

Postby jamlekP » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:02 am

BigBoss wrote:Jam, NwBie67 is talking about keeping the ledge and using 1x6, you are talking of doing away with the Ledge and using the 2X4. There will no increase in height.
I don’t really want to eliminate the ledge. Instead, I was hoping to ensure that the top of the slats are at par with the ledges’ top.

jamlekP

Postby jamlekP » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:04 am

Someone else gave me a suggestion. I now got some Simpson metal supporters which I think will work well with 2x4’s

Madraka

Postby Madraka » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:05 am

Hey Jam, do you mean to us 2x4 to provide central support?

jamlekP

Postby jamlekP » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:22 am

Madraka wrote:Hey Jam, do you mean to us 2x4 to provide central support?
There can’t be enough support with using 2 X 4’s as they will tend to move side by side under the box spring. I want one support below the center slat.

LeMiller

Postby LeMiller » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:23 am

If you can get some ¾ inch cabinet grade plywood, use them. This will however require that you do not move the bed and the frame assembly more often.

Return to “Other technical advice”