Alluminium MIC 6 vs regular plate alluminium

Other technical advice, how to engrave on wood with a 30$ laser for example
EverDream

Alluminium MIC 6 vs regular plate alluminium

Postby EverDream » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:10 pm

I would like use construction aluminum for my gantry uprights on the machine build but i ain't sure which. Is the MIC 6 worth choosing over the regular plate aluminum? It's more expensive and that would put a huge strain on my budget. Aluminum extrusion is definitely another option but am shooting for a narrower gantry type thus will use something with low profile bearings:
My gantry uprights should be 10-12" wide and 16-17" tall.
Please advise me, which of these would be the better choice?

MuteButton

Re: Alluminium MIC 6 vs regular plate alluminium

Postby MuteButton » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:03 pm

All I know is that the MIC 6 Aluminum is more structurally sound, since it is usually stabilized thermally before it is released for application.

e80euj2229

Postby e80euj2229 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:36 pm

I have to agree on this. If you are building a gantry like the one in the image below, then you may need the mic6 alum because you need to have an upright perfectly parallel gantry because it is the base of the chassis and all errors of alignment depend on this unit. The MIC6 plates are more precice and require less adjustments to compensate for errors in alignement.
gantrylikethis.png
gantrylikethis.png (220.28 KiB) Viewed 2167 times

Gladod

Postby Gladod » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:15 pm

Hey guys, what quick question.. whats "regular plates" of aluminium :?:

falanyani

Postby falanyani » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:21 am

Regular aluminum plates are called construction aluminium which is direcly refined from Boxite is AlSiMg norm: EN AW 6005 A are pliable and can easily distort when you use them for heavy duty work. but are inexpensive and easily cut for rapid machine fabrication.

IndieDev

Postby IndieDev » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:57 am

You could still find another alloy that compromises the properties of both metals buying the alluminium MIC 6 strains your budget. I suppose that anything stronger than alluminium MIC 6 will do.

DaveBlack

Postby DaveBlack » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:34 am

So which one do you suppose that one could be ? You speak like everything is extremely straightforward as far as alloys are concerned,

5so95n
Site Admin

Postby 5so95n » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:33 am

Be careful of designations and fancy products on the market MIC 6 is just a registered brand name that has a superb flatness, finish and parallelism. Usually when you build a machine you correct these errors by adjusting or compensating. Unless you have an unlimited budget, milling the plates flat yourself. This shouldn’t be a problem with any convention mill.

You need to consider also the mechanical properties of the aluminum for example construction aluminum is good for building because it is elastic and is more forgiving but a real disaster for milling. i have never had much luck with it. I prefer any avionic type alu because it just "feels" better, its lightweight and can be easily milled

Return to “Other technical advice”