Which is better between EDM and CNC?

Other technical advice, how to engrave on wood with a 30$ laser for example
maulana

Which is better between EDM and CNC?

Postby maulana » Mon May 18, 2015 5:36 pm

I learnt here(viewtopic.php?f=3&t=110&p=1058#p1058) about the differences between CNC and EDM. Which is better than the other? Credit to FALANYANI and 5SO. :D :D :D :D
All men dream-but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

FireCNC

Re: Which is better between EDM and CNC?

Postby FireCNC » Mon May 18, 2015 5:40 pm

EDM tools can be programmed for vertical machining, orbital, directional, helical, conical, and rotational among others. This clearly gives EDM many advantages over the conventional machining tools. :idea:
Never let any mechanical device know that you are in a hurry.

3DPRO

Postby 3DPRO » Mon May 18, 2015 5:43 pm

To go deeper, i will just list some random advantages of EDMs:
1. EDMs may be used for complex shapes that would otherwise be difficult to produce with conventional cutting tools like for sharp inside corners, EDMs is the superior process for internal corners.
2. It is the best for a situation when an extremely hard material is to be worked on, and very close tolerance is needed.
3. When considering depth, it is one of the best.
4. It is the best for very small work pieces where conventional machining tools may damage the part from excess cutting tool pressure.
5. There is no instance where direct contact between tool and work, piece occurs. Therefore delicate sections and weak materials can be machined without any distortion.
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

TheWood

Postby TheWood » Mon May 18, 2015 5:47 pm

I always though the technique was worse than CNC due to the a relatively slow rate of material removal. CNC is way faster in this respect?

falanyani

Postby falanyani » Mon May 18, 2015 5:48 pm

TheWood wrote:I always though the technique was worse than CNC due to the a relatively slow rate of material removal. CNC is way faster in this respect?

Yes, that is true. There are additional lead-time and cost used for creating electrodes for ram or sinker EDM.

Theorigins

Postby Theorigins » Mon May 18, 2015 5:51 pm

Yeah I doubt if the EDM machining method beats CNCs...Electrical power consumption is quite high.The material must be electrically conductive so as to apply EDM method. My bet will be on the regular hobby cnc over edm anytime.

tasaufi

Postby tasaufi » Mon May 18, 2015 5:54 pm

EDM machine has always had potential to be the game changer of the machining industry. Its level of output seems simply amazing. It has made machining much better. It has revolutionized this industry enabling the production of much greater geometry.

ridha

Postby ridha » Mon May 18, 2015 5:55 pm

I agree to this! the dimensions with which EDM tools can go makes them simply amazing. The fact that they are orbital, conical, and rotational makes this tools what is needed in the industry. That XYZ dimension has enabled the production of greatness when it comes to machinery.

arithoniposntophoni0

Postby arithoniposntophoni0 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:57 pm

ridha wrote:I agree to this! the dimensions with which EDM tools can go makes them simply amazing. The fact that they are orbital, conical, and rotational makes this tools what is needed in the industry. That XYZ dimension has enabled the production of greatness when it comes to machinery.

Exactly! the EDM machines are much greater and have enabled production of greater geometry when it comes to metals I think they are rather much costly looking at the amount of electricity that should run this machinery processes. :!: :!: :!:

RespecttheCoon

Postby RespecttheCoon » Mon May 18, 2015 5:59 pm

I still am not convinced that the electricity consumption should be an issue here. I feel that to the output given by EDM tools and the level of greatness that is achieved through these tools, they are economical. We should not just look at the cost incurred, but we should determine the cost-output ratio. The point is about optimization.

Return to “Other technical advice”