Which is better between EDM and CNC?

Other technical advice, how to engrave on wood with a 30$ laser for example
Hyatt

Re: Which is better between EDM and CNC?

Postby Hyatt » Tue May 19, 2015 2:51 am

Ultimately, this is a technological world, hand operated mechanical tools used to take very long to accomplish a task and it was difficult on complex to perform those tasks. These days, just a program and everything is done in minutes. I wonder what the future portends.

concernedmachinist

Postby concernedmachinist » Tue May 19, 2015 2:54 am

Hyatt - it is really unimaginable. People use to suffer a lot before discovery of automation. It will make the manufacturing industries to grow significantly. The trends are heading towards full automation.
Hyatt wrote:Ultimately, this is a technological world, hand operated mechanical tools used to take very long to accomplish a task and it was difficult on complex to perform those tasks. These days, just a program and everything is done in minutes. I wonder what the future portends.
:) :)

maulana

Postby maulana » Tue May 19, 2015 2:59 am

WHAATA GOOPS! I went for some coffee and came back to this! Thanks guys!

I also believe EDM machine is the best CNC machine tool, it produces excellent finishes with very insignificant error margin. But I respect the opinion of every last one of you!
All men dream-but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Hyatt

Postby Hyatt » Tue May 19, 2015 3:01 am

Oh - another thing: the finishings of EDMs: they a extremely fine finish product as compared to other machining methods. It eliminates the need for after work finishing procedures.

_Twain_
Site Admin

EDM CNC DISCUSSION

Postby _Twain_ » Tue May 19, 2015 3:04 am

never forget that EDM machining is slow compared to other types of machining.

digifapper

Re: EDM CNC DISCUSSION

Postby digifapper » Tue May 19, 2015 3:06 am

I agree with you but its advantages outweigh the disadvantages. You have to know that everything have its limitation and we evaluate it as the best when limitation is minimal.

BULLDOG

Re: EDM CNC DISCUSSION

Postby BULLDOG » Tue May 19, 2015 3:09 am

I am surprised no one has talked about the process. EDM machining uses graphite which is favorable for these metal cutting. It is not affected by high temperatures, cheaply available and available in large qualities and resistant to wear.

shaPeoko

Postby shaPeoko » Tue May 19, 2015 3:12 am

CNCs machine can be used continually for twenty four hours a day and three hundred and sixty five days a year. Imagine if it was mechanical methods they could have broken down due to mechanical malfunctions. It would be worse is it was done manually by hand.

_Twain_
Site Admin

Postby _Twain_ » Tue May 19, 2015 3:16 am

shaPeoko wrote:CNCs machine

CNCs FTFY.
Some small routers can be operated by less skilled and untrained people unlike manual machines like lathes, milling machines among others which need skilled and trained personel.

maulana

Postby maulana » Tue May 19, 2015 3:18 am

its actually true. Remember also that the CNC machine operator requires little industrial training and personal skills to manage and supervise many machines. Years back engineers used required many years of industrial training to operate machines like lathes, milling machines and other many manually operated ones. But, now they have lost the valuable acquired skills at the present due to introduction of these simple procedures.
All men dream-but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Return to “Other technical advice”