Making a CNC For marble

Board for ideas on CNC Hacks or ingenious ideas for your CNC machine or projects
Acosta

Making a CNC For marble

Postby Acosta » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:23 pm

Hey! Iam thinking of building a big CNC machine router that I will use in engraving stones. I wasn’t successful in building my first. Some of the issues that I could not get are; achieving high speed and getting high precision. Loosing of steps as another problem. I would like to build a rigid machine of 4m by 2.5 m

vinkiP

Re: Making a CNC For marble

Postby vinkiP » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:28 pm

Your question is not clear. What exactly are the issues here? What speeds can you achieve with the ‘unsuccessful’ machine? Any pics and specs?

Acosta

Postby Acosta » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:31 pm

Thanks Vinkip for the quick reply. The highest speed that I can get with the machine is 350mm/sec. beyond that speed; it begins to drastically lose steps. I find it consuming much of my time since its maximum step-down is between 2-4mm.

Acosta

Postby Acosta » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:31 pm

Something I forgot. I use Nema 24 steppers 11n.m. the other thing is that it doesn’t allow me to use the speed reduction method; hence I have resorted to using steppers directly. I used aluminum in some sections but they seem too week for this application. Showed I use steel in this part?

Majella

Postby Majella » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:33 pm

I guess that you are planning to use the machine for marble. And if my guess is right then you do not need the high speed because marble machining requires low speed. Using a gear reduction is a good idea but most gear systems have backlash.

vinkiP

Postby vinkiP » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:35 pm

350 mm/sec is about 22mtr/min. that’s very fast. What are the specs of drives and the controller? I would also want to know the output voltage of the power supply.

Return to “CNC Hacks”