Need an advice on how to do some engraving on aluminum and the best tools to use

Board for ideas on CNC Hacks or ingenious ideas for your CNC machine or projects
michaelM

Need an advice on how to do some engraving on aluminum and the best tools to use

Postby michaelM » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:00 pm

I am trying to do some aluminum engraving so I need some help and advice. I want to make some engravings on a small bunch of extruded black aluminum case. The only engraving tools that are at my disposal are 0.0mm, 0.2mm, and o.5mm v-groove carbide. I do not need a deep engraving since my cases are black hence my Doc is just 0.1mm. During my first try, I used a 0.5mm cutter spindle at maximum (24k), feed300mm/min, Doc 0.1mm. the tip got snapped just as a little passed halfway. I tried the 0.2mm cutters with the speed rate back to 150mm/min. 90% of the work was completed before the tip got damaged. I got tired of snapping the tips so i tried the shape point V-groove cutter. The work was finished without any damage on the tip but the cut and the finish is bad news.. Where could i have gone wrong? Any help and advice please?

HearsaWho

Re: Need an advice on how to do some engraving on aluminum and the best tools to use

Postby HearsaWho » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:05 pm

The problem here is with the snapping tip. It could be that you are applying to much pressure on it whenever you are working.

Tsunami

Re: Need an advice on how to do some engraving on aluminum and the best tools to use

Postby Tsunami » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:47 pm

The snapping could be from something to do with your style of cutting. You could also go to a CNC shop and look for better harder pointers.

mercyVince

Postby mercyVince » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:49 am

The engraving machine must have come with some suggested settings for engraving different materials. To avoid the snapping, use the recommended settings

Looker

Postby Looker » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:11 am

I would advice you to get the Tough Tip Tool for Engraving Aluminum.

You can find this from http://www.badog.ch/

Bassam

Postby Bassam » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:13 am

You can also fine the Tough Tip Engraving Tool for Aluminum in http://www.2linc.com/engraving_tools_tough_tip_AL.htm

Return to “CNC Hacks”