Benefits of Using CNC Routers for Making Art

CNC artistic applications including but not limited to sculptures, engrave, 3d puzzle, cardboard furniture, planes, models
Marksman

Benefits of Using CNC Routers for Making Art

Postby Marksman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:28 pm

Im torn here, I have worked with my hands for quite some time making sculptures and carvings bit i receintly went to an expo on tooling and fell in love with cnc cutters! I dont want to turn my back on the world of art and hand made sculptures but I would like to justify my position or hear if anyone else uses these CNC cutters for art or sculpting.

i know that CNC machines are classified on the basis of spindle motor (or i think), and you can get different classes of routers with different capabilities. These machines have unique applications and purposes. However, they generally have similar advantages. CNCs are used to make holes, milling, tapping, cut design, grinding and do lettering. Some of them can be used to create amazing artworks using these capacities. While the initial cost of a CNC machine is relatively higher than non CNC one, the break- even point in your art comes quite easily, with the right mindset.

Technically it makes sense but really, im not sure if it can justify an early purchase, what do you think

Marksman

Feel free to drop a comment. Any piece of advice to provide more insight (or any other comment)

Postby Marksman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:31 pm

:D Hey friends, feel free to drop a comment or two.

Jahrastafarai

Re: Benefits of Using CNC Routers for Making Art

Postby Jahrastafarai » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:42 pm

These machines are powerful, to say the least. If you want to switch your production to a different product, you can just change the program. The technology is amazing. i also heard that they can help to Reduce waste because CNC machine software is quite advanced and is designed to plan the layout of pieces to be machined on the material being used. Such design helps to minimize waste in terms of metal sheets and equipment. You can create wonderful artistic pieces without a worry about the wastage of the raw material.

Alligatore

Postby Alligatore » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:56 pm

Great post man. This machine works like thousand men combined. I like its efficiency. ;)

augustusjuliuscaesar

Postby augustusjuliuscaesar » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:01 pm

The time is ripe to start being inventive. Self-employment is the word. 8-)

digifapper

Postby digifapper » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:04 pm

Je me demande ce que les machines CNC ne peuvent pas faire ...

Maouritania

Postby Maouritania » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:06 pm

CNC machines are easy to use than most lathe machines I know. Beginners need not be scared.

I worked for years with these so called cnc routers and they have guided programs called Computer Aided Design and Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAD CAM). This software performs high precision milling hence producing identical parts. CNC machines are extremely efficient. The router can perform tasks continuously without tiring therefore freeing the operator for other important tasks. The machine can perform various complex tasks which are difficult hence requiring more time and efforts to perform manually. This is how some artists (actually I have a friend who does this - and churns out lots of sculptures per year. :twisted:

To reduce your workload, you can setup your machine and integrate programs. Your work will be to monitor the machines thus can operate without interruption.The job is also done continuously without wasting time during loading and offloading, or even changing shifts.CNC machines reduces operators involvement andf can be a replacement fopr working sculptures with your hands. With this machine in the house, the cost of hiring and training operators reduces. Moreover, human errors are minimized but the human touch that comes from art is quickly lost.

but in a world dominated by Ikea CNC are probably in my opinion the future for artists, if not for the finished product but for the rough shaping and time consuming operations that do not add to the cost of the piece

Alejandro

Postby Alejandro » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:08 pm

:P
Last edited by Alejandro on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alejandro

Postby Alejandro » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:10 pm

digifapper wrote:Je me demande ce que les machines CNC ne peuvent pas faire ...

This machine however much expensive it is, it has some good returns. I won’t miss finding one when my company grows. My company is now 1 year old. We are still facing challenges like customers and skilled workers. Financially, the company has not picked up. (I don't get what you were posting, though!)

_Twain_
Site Admin

Postby _Twain_ » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:14 pm

From sources, CNC machines need no prototyping. Once you have your prototypes and an access to the market, you can sell as many as you can - and make some more. It is like a license to mint pennies.

Return to “Artistic applications for CNC”