DIFFERENT GRADES OF ALUMINUM - ADVICE

CNC artistic applications including but not limited to sculptures, engrave, 3d puzzle, cardboard furniture, planes, models
Jowie

DIFFERENT GRADES OF ALUMINUM - ADVICE

Postby Jowie » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:30 pm

I want an aluminum that best suits high speed cutting with router. Which grade is best suited for this? I am also undertaking a redesign of my coolant system. So what is the best thing to do? To mist the coolant or flood it with aluminum routing?

BrokenPedal

Re: DIFFERENT GRADES OF ALUMINUM - ADVICE

Postby BrokenPedal » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:36 pm

The easiest to obtain is T6. This is architectural sheeting that cuts just like wet butter.WD40 is the best coolant for aluminum. It in fact seem like that is all it does well in. given that it is expensive, it’s good that you make your own 75 percent paraffin only using the UK stuff . Also, make 25% of any hydraulic oil, or ATF- the red automatic transmission fluid. You just require a little of this. The small kitchen type spray bottles will work best, but your presence is important. You will hardly wait for ten minutes and the alloy will have build up on the cutter and as you are about to stop your machine you get hit by a huge snot of muddy water. A fine mist is all you need, with of course a decent ventilation.

T99448877

Postby T99448877 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:42 pm

It is hard to answer the misting question, given the right nozzle and enough pressure the pump to mist well. Am thinking of a hosepipe but if it has low pressure then it will definitely want some aid. Again, just like a spray gun, a simple air spray system will do the mist well.
For the car oil filter, am not very sure if it can work as a return system given that on a car it is pumped. It would require somebody to determine the total time it takes to flow through by gravity and whether it backs up a lot. Apologies for not being more helpful but remember I say no experience.
The professional misting systems use very little liquid but works total loss.

HungryRabbit

Postby HungryRabbit » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:45 pm

I saw someone who had actually used an inexpensive airbrush. You will probably need some compressed air but not much is used.

Theorigins

Postby Theorigins » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:47 pm

I saw an article in the MEW recommending the frequent use of a fried compressor with an airbrush. Simply cheap and quite

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:50 pm

the idea of using fuel pump should work pretty well. I have a friend who uses them on most of his machines though not using them as misting but just as constant re-circulated flow.

IdrinkBreakfluids

Postby IdrinkBreakfluids » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:57 pm

Goose wrote:the idea of using fuel pump should work pretty well. I have a friend who uses them on most of his machines though not using them as misting but just as constant re-circulated flow.

The use of a diesel injection pump is actually not suitable. The needs for clearances inside to aid get up to 115 bar to 280 bar and 1700 psi to 4,000 psi would mean getting it toasted at the slightest lacof grit or lubrication.

VAnz

Postby VAnz » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:58 pm

I would recommend you try using a pond fountain for flood coolant. When I bought one for leak testing a task we did foe M.O.D, we just threw it on a bond of water and left it to pump water onto a bearing for 48 hrs. Can you imagine this? Plugging a hose pipe onto the top where the fountain normally goes. They also have a built in flow adjustment.

HungryRabbit

Postby HungryRabbit » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:22 pm

How does this fountain work?

tasaufi

Postby tasaufi » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:28 pm

HungryRabbit wrote:How does this fountain work?

Here is a quick video of the process; https://goo.gl/4kn8xq

Return to “Artistic applications for CNC”