Help! What is the quickest way to set cutters in a face mill?

Posts on milling engraving advice on milling cutting, drilling mould making
concernedmachinist

Help! What is the quickest way to set cutters in a face mill?

Postby concernedmachinist » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Hi. I have noticed that my face mill is making ripples on the raw material being machined. I have checked the feeler gauge to the table and one of the cutters has .009 units higher than the other two. Is there an easier way of resetting the cutters or is it the boring wearing way?

5so95n
Site Admin

Re: Help! What is the quickest way to set cutters in a face mill?

Postby 5so95n » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:48 pm

Hi Concerned Machinist…
This is how I normally do it. I hope it will be easier and fastest method for you. The first the cutter trick is to make sure that the cutter body you are using is in a good shape. Make sure that you carefully examine cutter bodies before purchasing them. More importantly, take out all the inserts and examine the seats for any form of distortion.
That well said and done, make sure that all the inserts are from the same lot. Also examine the inserts to make sure they have a similar corner radius. Do not let the inserts get mixed up.
This is what to note for the dressing off. Don’t use dead sharp inserts since they produce poor finishes. Sharp inserts also never last long in steel as inserts with honed edges. Another reason to avoid the dead inserts is that they leave abrasive residue on a machine tool.

concernedmachinist

Postby concernedmachinist » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:49 pm

Okay then. I have been using the sharp want, the insert works though. So which kind of insert is preferred?

5so95n
Site Admin

Postby 5so95n » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:50 pm

I would say a dull or a honed insert is preferred. Personally, I use an edge of a used insert. For better finishes from a carbide face mills, make sure there is proper seating of the inserts. You can use the compressed air to clean the machine tool. You can also cover the pockets with a good blast to ensure that all the dirt and debris are removed and the insert has a clean pocket to seat against.
Make sure that the spindle face and the socket are clean and well maintained. The adapter should be straight and well fitted. The cutter back face and diameter reference should be running concentrically.
In brief, this is what you should be keen on; matching inserts, cleanliness, undamaged body parts, honed edges where applicable, straight reference feature and tooling. You may also dial in the edges, I works!

Alligatore

Postby Alligatore » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:51 pm

Those are interesting tips buddy. I can’t agree more with you. All the errors made by the manufacturers add up and can result in poor quality finishes. The best way to avoid these errors is to put the adaptor and inserts on a tool and cutter grinder. Also add some touches to the cutter so that all are sharp, true and identical.
You can also look for an insert with an odd cutter or two in set to act as a snag tooth and scraper for better surface finish.

GratefulTuna

Postby GratefulTuna » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:52 pm

I experienced the same problem about 2 weeks ago when I was setting up inserts for my face mill. Fortunately, I managed to reset the inserts and now the operation is running well. It is important to monitor your machine for high quality inserts. For instance, if your insert type comes out in ground version, then there is higher tolerance.
Currently, my face mill uses APKT inserts but I have ordered for ground sharp ones for aluminium. I am still waiting for the deliver but I am hoping that they will have a lesser weight variance. You can order your inserts from tools4 aluminium. They have an excellent customer service which helps you both before and after sale.

concernedmachinist

Postby concernedmachinist » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:54 pm

Thanks everyone for your generous suggestions. My cutter is new and has original inserts set at an angle below the cutter. I was facing lot of challenge when I was resetting the inserts in their pockets to achieve an angle required by pocket seat. Case in point, I was holding the feeler gauge on one hand and the insert on the other while tightening the set screw, hence leaving no room between the table and the cutter to do all that. I have been wondering whether there is an easy way to do all this.

3DPRO

Postby 3DPRO » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:55 pm

Yes there is an easy way out. Usually, the tap with a little bra hammer which acts as an insert is snugged to ensure positive seating. Positive seating depends much on the contents of the insert pocket and the method of insert retention. My insert hammer is 1x4 inch long of brass stock. You just require a few taps to carry out your task. If you organize yourself well you will have plenty of space to operate on.
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

mozvilla

Postby mozvilla » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:58 pm

Guys… Guys please let us consider people others who are not so well versed in the arena. Someone stumbling through here would think they have intercepted alien signals…

concernedmachinist

Postby concernedmachinist » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:16 pm

I came here to comment and now I can't stop staring at that goldfish. :shock:

Return to “Milling, tooling and engraving advice”