Frustrating laser engraving problem

Posts on milling engraving advice on milling cutting, drilling mould making
Gary

Re: Frustrating laser engraving problem

Postby Gary » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:20 pm

CafeMan wrote:Has your image been processed already by PhotoGrav and you are trying to resize it? As for banding, any banding (it doesn’t matter what the cause is) will always show up clearly on marble than on granite owing to the fact that marble is naturally a higher resolution substrate.?!?

Thank you but I would disagree here, but maybe I am in denial...
I don't suppose that the material has anything to do with it. Remember that the image that came with the machine is coming out perfectly, without any banding!??! :| :| :| :|

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:08 am

Hello there, was just wondering if you have tried altering the scan gap. Burning with a lower scan gap might take a longer time but it may be very helpful. Why don’t you try it could be a long shot but I think it can work!…. Cheers

Gary

Postby Gary » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:10 am

Hello to you; I am trying out everyone's suggestion at this juncture, since I can't seem to pinpoint the problem's solution....

Gary

Postby Gary » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:13 am

janMike wrote:Try out this; take your original image and apply on it a small Gaussian blur and then reprocess it. I have no full understanding of it but sometimes my great looking photos could band when I resized them. But when I applied the blur, a much smaller one and ran it, no banding appeared.

Well, thanks kind sir! I think I could try this out tomorrow, I am still an amateur in photoshop, so to speak!

Gary

Postby Gary » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:17 am

Prudentia29882 wrote:It sounds to me like it is an issue to do with resolution on the Y-axis. A setting may be…. it’s a guess though because I am not a PhotoGrav user. It must be the culprit. In PhotoShop, cover the PhotoGrav refined image on top of the VyTek supplied image. Put into use the layers at pixel resolution (Actual Pixels). Do some coloring on one layer in order to help in visibility. Finally, try looking for the pixel shift on the Y-axis. You will at least be able to narrow down what the problem is…..

I am actually considering this too since I think the problem is in the image itself. What makes me curious is why their own image is good on both surfaces, while mine has no sense of direction! As for the other fellows, (Treeelbow, et al) I would very much like to participate in your jest but this problem at hand is not according me the occasion to do so.

Soccerman

Postby Soccerman » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:21 am

Well spoken! Are the other suggestions not working? Well, try using a 2 inch lens and if you have got some way of tuning your bidirectional settings (IE registration in between the scan moving left and right) then do that. I also recommend that you try on defocusing your 1.5 inch by a tiny bit if you lack the 2 inch lens. :D :D :D

Tubulalrt0r

Postby Tubulalrt0r » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:24 am

There is a setting known as scaling in a Laserpro in which you can make some adjustments on the engraved image to compensate if it is not of the correct size. (For example, an object measuring 10 inches might be engraved as a 10.02 inch image). If you are using compensation, you will get banding if you are using PhotoGrav processed images. Though not sure, it is worth checking if VyTek has got something of the sort.

kimaruMark

Postby kimaruMark » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:57 pm

There are two possible ways of running the GCC machines. One way is to use a 110v AC connection and another one is to use a 220v AC connection. The auto switching power supplies makes it possible to use either of the two ways. With VyTek, I am not sure if it can be or not. I have found out that running a machine that is of40w’s or more on a 100v alternating current connection will lead to a banding like every time. On connecting them to 220v AC connection, the banding will disappear. I would ask whether your 65w is running on a 220v power connection.

Jain756789

Postby Jain756789 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:59 pm

Hi OP,

This banding in photographs has in the past been a problem to me too…. What I did was to have my bearings replaced and the problem was solved for good. Could it be that your bearings are wearing out too? Have them checked….

Gary

Postby Gary » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:02 pm

I am back again, but sorry first for not providing an update sooner. Our thinking on this is that the issue might be something to do with the editing end of things. To explain our thinking, we asked ourselves why the VyTek file would run very well while ours could not. There are a lot of settings to be changed and other things to learn with the laser. We haven’t had enough time to try all the suggestions and advices offered by everyone because we have been kind of busy here and there trying to catch up with time. We are however, planning to give all of them a try very soon. Thanks all for your help. It has been a great experience.

Return to “Milling, tooling and engraving advice”