Frustrating laser engraving problem

Posts on milling engraving advice on milling cutting, drilling mould making
Gary

Frustrating laser engraving problem

Postby Gary » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:34 pm

I am in the look for some information about a banding problem that I have got with my laser. I own a 2005 VyTek 65W MLT4469 coming with a 1.5 inch lens a long with the latest Corel Draw, PhotoShop and PhotoGrav.

The laser is only used for granite and marble engraving. Well, my problem here is that the laser is banding all through the whole image on the Y-axis. At first, I tried rotating the image at an angle of 90 degrees. However, the banding remained on the Y-axis. I kept trying using different laser settings but there was positive change.

Eventually I decided a file supplied by VyTek with the laser in order to see whether I was doing something wrong. With the VyTek, I got a perfect image, with no banding; an image as clear as crisp. When I tried my own image once more, banding would appear all over again... Currently, I run marble and have realized that banding surely shows up more on marble as compared to the granite.

Some banding is noticeable in granite also. My question therefore is, “why do the VyTek supplied image come out clearly while mine does not”? Am I doing something wrong in PhotoShop and PhotoGrav? And lastly, does a cheapo scanner cause issues to do with Banding?

You advice or suggestions will be of great help. Thanks in advance

CafeMan

Re: Frustrating laser engraving problem

Postby CafeMan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:38 pm

Has your image been processed already by PhotoGrav and you are trying to resize it? As for banding, any banding (it doesn’t matter what the cause is) will always show up clearly on marble than on granite owing to the fact that marble is naturally a higher resolution substrate.?!?

janMike

Postby janMike » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:43 pm

Try out this; take your original image and apply on it a small Gaussian blur and then reprocess it. I have no full understanding of it but sometimes my great looking photos could band when I resized them. But when I applied the blur, a much smaller one and ran it, no banding appeared.

tomJohns

Postby tomJohns » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:45 pm

What is a Gaussian blur?

treeelbow

Postby treeelbow » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:46 pm

tomJohns wrote:What is a Gaussian blur?

What is Google?

vinkiP

Postby vinkiP » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:48 pm

treeelbow wrote:

What is Google?

If you don’t have anything to say, don’t say it!

mcR

Postby mcR » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:51 pm

vinkiP wrote:
treeelbow wrote:

What is Google?

If you don’t have anything to say, don’t say it!

Don’t argue with an invariably temperate individual because it will be difficult to tell who is more invariably temperate between the two of you.

digifapper

Postby digifapper » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:54 pm

Don’t argue with an invariably temperate individual because it will be difficult to tell who is more invariably temperate between the two of you.[/quote]
Now that this annoying din is out of the way, that is something I have seen in the past, but was definitely not a VyTek. If it engraves well with their image and yours does not, then it is surely the image. Blur it and if you can, try a small spot.

Prudentia29882

Postby Prudentia29882 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:03 pm

It sounds to me like it is an issue to do with resolution on the Y-axis. A setting may be…. it’s a guess though because I am not a PhotoGrav user. It must be the culprit. In PhotoShop, cover the PhotoGrav refined image on top of the VyTek supplied image. Put into use the layers at pixel resolution (Actual Pixels). Do some coloring on one layer in order to help in visibility. Finally, try looking for the pixel shift on the Y-axis. You will at least be able to narrow down what the problem is…..

darkangel2112

Postby darkangel2112 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:11 pm

some other funny stuff can lead to banding between photos. What you need to do is to ensure that the res of the processed photo is of an equal size with the res of engraving, that is, if the u you use a 300 dpi Engraving file, then use also a 300 dpi. Engraving a 400 dpi Engraving on a 500 dpi will lead to banding. I have also noticed that some photos that are a product of scanning from textured paper can throw the light around a little and at the same time reproducing the original texture. It is usually common that a professional paper (usually with a ‘do not copy’ water mark on its back) will in some case not copy without leaving weird marks etc…. However the culprit is usually a mix up of dips’

Return to “Milling, tooling and engraving advice”