Yaay!!!

Show off your projects or use this duiscussion for brainstorming your new ideas
uhuruK

Yaay!!!

Postby uhuruK » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:07 pm

I have done it guys, and it really feels good. Yeah, I have cut my first aluminium on my CNC Machine and the results were amazing… there were no tool breakages. It is actually a decent chip-load to start with. Only cutting .75mm a pass but it is a start and the machine ran at about 1650 with a spindle speed of 1600 tool size 4 mm endmill.

The only mistake that I made was start of second tool change. :x I did don remember to raise it up the spindle when I finished screwing down the work. Even though I am still quite new in this, I do not make this mistake often. In fact it is the first time I have let the spindle remain too low. I will post some clips and photos later once am done with some things here and there. The brackets are meant for my X-axis limit witches that are adjustable. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

johnDon

Re: Yaay!!!

Postby johnDon » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:11 pm

Bravo Mr. It is good to have the first 1 under the belt. Feelsgood.iso identified with. Much feels on your behalf!

uhuruK

Postby uhuruK » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:12 pm

Thanks - next challenge is to try making clean cuts - wastage is not my front right now and I don't wish to develop the habit.

Aronchupa

Postby Aronchupa » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:14 pm

Whoa, that is simply impressive – the feed speeds and are nice to get started with. It always bugs me by getting into the of good CNC time…. The more guys that I give a helping hand the more friends I accumulate the less time I get to CNC… it is better than having no mates though…

uhuruK

Postby uhuruK » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:16 pm

I did have some help and I think it sucks not to have someone helping or just standing by - not only for moral support but also just in case anything goes haywire hahaha ;) ;)

Aronchupa

Postby Aronchupa » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:19 pm

Agreed. If you have a small shop/warehouse it is much easier to hire part time staff.

uhuruK

Postby uhuruK » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:23 pm

Thanks awesome advice - that is for the future though. Let me first get over the basics. Somehow, I didn’t manage to capture the V-carve on the brackets so well. I always welcome both positive and negative comments as it is the best way to grasp something in all with three tool changes and making a stop to screw it down ( in 30mins you will get a lot of holes as well)

Aronchupa

Postby Aronchupa » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:25 pm

Ah that is no biggie. its sounds pretty good. Find a compressor and then blow away the chips to avoid having them being cut again, get a far much better finish and a lot easier on the cutter. On the other hand, you can still do just like you have done and fix the machine vertically on the wall… 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

uhuruK

Postby uhuruK » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:26 pm

Awesome. I think I will go for a compressor. What do you use?

Abni

Postby Abni » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:36 pm

Not answering the compressor question,,, it wasn't addressed to me and i don't want to be weird by hijacking the thread. However, I am here for the V carve coz it touches me to the core - I learnt a very expensive lesson there once.

Which one between one with twin screws and the single one do you consider the x-axis? if it is the twin screw then it implies that it could be resonance of the z-axis or the deflection of the tool. This usually results when I push my machine harder and very deep with vast Z extension. I am talking about 2.5mm+ doc though.

Try always doing this; raising the work near to the spindle while keeping the z extension small as pos and keeping the tool extension outside the collet short as pos. take deeper but slower cuts. This sounds somehow crazy but remembers more of the tool is being engaged so more support is needed. Try one and a half mm at 800 mm/min 16,000rpm

Engage a slower full depth end pass with a little 0.15 -1/4 stepover. Try clearing the chips as much as you can, lube stops sticking but also covers the slot and makes chips glue when they are re-cut.

At the best, these will not give a good finish and can go to the extent of causing tool deflection, overheat and eventually breakage. You can tell whether re-cuts is the problem or not because there will be few random dents on the top, definitely not similar to what you have which is a good wave rib. This is the reason why I think it is resonance from Z axis or deflection tool.

I have realized that the best solution is constant low pressure air cleaning the chips with the odd shot of coolant to ensure good stickage. Just ensure that the slot is clear and the blast of air works is good. However, to have a smart effect the air should be constant in order to clear all the chips. If you really need a smart finish then try using a full depth finish pass.

Try these and let us hear what you think. I hope you stick with it and make some more awesomeness!

Return to “Show off your projects!”