Brainstorm on how I should use my machine.

Show off your projects or use this duiscussion for brainstorming your new ideas
NeQus85

Brainstorm on how I should use my machine.

Postby NeQus85 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:39 am

How do I use my machine?

I have a fully functioning CNC machine that I built a year ago. It is Solsylva design though. The problem is I built the machine because it was fun doing so, and now I don’t know what to do with it. I have tried making some random signs, end cuts and another bunch of stuff. I am wondering what other projects do people dealing with. Perhaps this will give me a jolt to start out…

OldTraffordian

Re: Brainstorm on how I should use my machine.

Postby OldTraffordian » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:48 am

I have not yet run out of ideas on how to use my CNC machine but still I have a problem. I like dual boot mac’s operating system better. Case in point; I don’t like the whole process of designing something on windows then switching platforms in order to use CAM software and running it on Linux CNC. This whole process is tiresome… :(

Jain756789

Postby Jain756789 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:54 am

Hey OT
I have related issues. My main desktop is Windows and the PC connected to my CNC runs Linux CNC. I have Inkscape with G-code plugin on my desk and F engraver that do most of the works before sending them to Linux PC. I have tried putting these apps on my Linux box, but the challenge is still with my workshop. Currently, my workshop is not a comfortable place to sit when organizing files. I can use varied opinions from concern fellas

immortallove

Postby immortallove » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:00 am

I don’t know if this helps; I have the same problem. I have a 36X48X6 DIY CNC machine. I feel like I am in using the device badly. Maybe we can get together and make some more random things during weekends.

0.98-0000000g

Postby 0.98-0000000g » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:37 pm

OldTraffordian wrote:I have not yet run out of ideas on how to use my CNC machine but still I have a problem. I like dual boot mac’s operating system better. Case in point; I don’t like the whole process of designing something on windows then switching platforms in order to use CAM software and running it on Linux CNC.

Hey OldTraffordian,
Can you share with me some of your designs if you don’t mind? Did you buy or generate them yourself? Thanks.

OldTraffordian

Postby OldTraffordian » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:40 pm

I am glad to share, check your Inbox; though I must admit they are just straightforward and Opensource. I found my designs on Google image search, Deviant art and Bing.
Last edited by OldTraffordian on Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digifapper

Postby digifapper » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:41 pm

Which software do you use to convert your images to Dxf? :?: :?: :?:

OldTraffordian

Postby OldTraffordian » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:43 pm

Hi DGF,
Normally, F-engravers do all the work including sending BMP files and creating G-codes. At this point, no dxf is required but only conversion from jpg to BMP. The whole conversion is a simple process. This is how I do it.
First of all, I look for vector files and import them to Inkscape and finally scale them up and export them as large BMP files in order to get good results in F-engraver.
I still have a great challenge with profiling cuts in engravers but still I can design a good profile cut in CamBam.

Tipsiest

Postby Tipsiest » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:45 pm

You are doing pretty good job their man. My problem is handling tool diameter when cutting outlines. Are there some pro tips when starting a dxf to create paths that give the tool width?
I don't understand it! And I don't understand anyone who does understand it!

OldTraffordian

Postby OldTraffordian » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:47 pm

Tipsiest,

I prefer Aspire when generating a toolpath since it comes with alternative options of cutting-on the inside, outside or along a line. There is also an option of manually setting the offset. Make sure your gear is outside the line.
Unfortunately, some CamBam program does not have the entire features and only offers on the line option. In this case, it is recommendable to use an offset of the bit diameter when generating the profile toolpath.
I hope I have answered your question?

Return to “Show off your projects!”