Something about the Halifax 10” Lathe

discussions about other machines, tools and gadgets
FireCNC

Something about the Halifax 10” Lathe

Postby FireCNC » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:00 am

Hi everyone,
I am currently renovating an old Halifax 10 inch lathe that has been lying idle for a number of years. On the left hand end of the main spindle is a bearing that looks like a tapper roller bearing. It does not slide off and I am wondering if that is right or do I need a puller? Levering it with two screwdrivers was my first option but my fear was if it would get damaged.
Last edited by FireCNC on Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never let any mechanical device know that you are in a hurry.

Jeezman

Re: Something about the Halifax 10” Lathe

Postby Jeezman » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:49 am

Have you ever used a bearing puller in the past? If you haven’t, then, what you need to do is to apply some force to the interior ring only, the one on the shaft. Any pressure on the outer ring will damage the bearing.
It is also possible to make a steel wedge and it could also be important to have a packing washer that will contact the inner race only.

concernedmachinist

Postby concernedmachinist » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:51 pm

I have got one like that one, a UK version. It has stronger and wider castings but has many plastic parts. Each end must have a bearing roller. Though they will most likely slide off, they are press fitted such that they can resist centrifugal force. To take some off, you will require a puller. You can also try this option….. Beat up the crap out of it using brass fits. If there is no need to take them off, then do not. I only did that on mine as the main gear had been damaged

Stromae

Postby Stromae » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:55 pm

One of the reasons that could force you to take them off is the need to remove the dirt out of the bearings. The bearings can be cleaned by just separating the outer part from the inner, let me hope that yours has the removable caps on the bearings.

Appolos

Postby Appolos » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:13 pm

I am new here but it seems as though we have a similar problem. IN mine, you can hardly see any thread when all the gears are in position. My first thought was recess (counter bore) the small gear. This will allow me to pick up threads that are hidden by the gear. However, this option weakened the gear. So it is better to go for a new spindle at the right price.

Giza

Postby Giza » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:17 pm

The rear bearing is fitted in such a way that it slides on the shaft to give room for adjustments hence there is no shoulder at all. The bearings should be aligned with the caps on the housing.

QuothHe

Postby QuothHe » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:20 pm

Well, if you are not in for power feeding or the threading option, then it is good that you just leave out the drive gear.
Re_threading it is not actually impossible; instead it is something that can be done. However, don’t forget the possibility of hardening. The best option here is the Replacement.
Cheers...

Taraji

Postby Taraji » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:36 am

The importance of a thread is to preload the bearings. Have you checked to see how much thread is left? I am also not sure if it could be easy to rethread given that it might be hardened. Is the lockout not covered by enough thread?

FireCNC

Postby FireCNC » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:44 am

Thanks for the information guys. I tried all the options. I have checked on the amount of thread remaining and yes that was where the problem lied. I am now in the process of replacing as i found it hard to re-thread. Thanks onece again.
Never let any mechanical device know that you are in a hurry.

Return to “Other machines, tools and gadgets”