CNC Feed/ Speed Overrides

Discuss other CNC equipments like Mini CNC lathes, lasers, vinyl cutters or even egg printers
Ulfreds

CNC Feed/ Speed Overrides

Postby Ulfreds » Sat May 30, 2015 7:47 pm

Hi everyone,
I recently bumped into these combinations of words; CNC Feed/ Speed Overrides. I call it combination of words since I have no idea what they mean. I am not certain if this kind of question belong here. The thing is I am interested in knowing anything about CNC machines. So, anyone with important information about these overrides can share.

N0835ded

Re: CNC Feed/ Speed Overrides

Postby N0835ded » Sat May 30, 2015 7:50 pm

Hi OP
Allow me to introduce you to a few basic about your area of concern. First, it is important to under that feed and speed override form the mechanical components of a CNC machine. Mechanical components also include axes, spindle, coolant, block delete switch and the optional program stop switch.
Some CNC machines have a separate speed and feed override control while in others a speed and feed rate override control is under one roof.

cocodancer

Postby cocodancer » Sat May 30, 2015 7:53 pm

N0835ded wrote:Hi OP
Allow me to introduce you to a few basic about your area of concern. First, it is important to under that feed and speed override form the mechanical components of a CNC machine. Mechanical components also include axes, spindle, coolant, block delete switch and the optional program stop switch.
Some CNC machines have a separate speed and feed override control while in others a speed and feed rate override control is under one roof.

Yeah, Introducing Feed and Speed Overrides 101. You can increase or decrease the CNC feed and/or speed rate frequently to achieve your desired results. The best practice of altering the CNC machine feed and speed is through changing the feed and speed override at the control panel.

Ulfreds

Postby Ulfreds » Sat May 30, 2015 8:03 pm

Wow, those are some interesting piece of info. But still let me get this right, do you mean feed override and speed override controls the feed and speed of the CNCs?

5so95n
Site Admin

Postby 5so95n » Sat May 30, 2015 8:08 pm

Yes. Literally it means that. Normally, CNC feed and speed is controlled in percentage. At 100% feed override, your programmed feed is activated. When the feed override is less than 100% say 50% then the feed ration decreases by 50%, therefore the machine tools is run by 50% feed.
So, if you choose to program your machine at 0.5mm per rev then at 100% feed override, 0.5% feed will be active. However, at 50% feed override your machine will be run at 0.25mm/rev feed.

SysBot

Postby SysBot » Sat May 30, 2015 8:23 pm

Actually, feed override and speed override use the same rule. The thing is at 100% speed override the programmed speed becomes active, therefore, the spindle revolve with regards to the programmed speed. However at 50% speed override, the spindle speed drops by 50%.

LuckBeAHor5e

Postby LuckBeAHor5e » Sat May 30, 2015 8:32 pm

Just like any other machines with controlled speed, I think CNCs have maximum and minimum speed override. So what are the maximum and minimum feed and speed override.

FireCNC

Postby FireCNC » Sat May 30, 2015 8:43 pm

The minimum feed and speed override is 0%. At 0% speed override, the spindle is stationary- not rotating and at 0% feed override, the tool will not work.
Normally CNC machines have a maximum of 120% feed and speed override. If you are wondering if you can use 120% feed and speed override, then yes. It is safe to use 120% feed and speed override.
Never let any mechanical device know that you are in a hurry.

Vivalahector

Postby Vivalahector » Sat May 30, 2015 8:50 pm

It is true that normal CNC machines have 0% to 120% feed override and speed override. Some manufacturers give the machine some flexibility, thus the feed override runs from 0% to 200%. I once used this kind of machine and it worked perfectly just like their counter parts with 0% to 120% feed override.

Cravat

Postby Cravat » Sat May 30, 2015 8:57 pm

I bet the manufacturers are using the trial and error method. Come to think of it, initially the maximum feed override was 120% and they thought of increasing it to 200% to see if it works. I am thinking of building a machine with 0% to 100% feed override, it is still a vague idea though.

Return to “CNC laser, plasma, and lathes”