HElp/advise on Spindle Replacement

Retrofits, spindles, cooling and attachments or in general things added to a machine to make it better
NwBie67

HElp/advise on Spindle Replacement

Postby NwBie67 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:33 pm

I bought an Onsrud Panel about three years ago. The machine has a 12HP motor. We make kitchen cabinets and most occasions we use the machine to cut 4x8 plywood sheets and hard wood. Do I need to replace my spindle after this time frame? I have tried some trouble shooting method but I haven’t succeeded. The machine is now lying helplessly in my shop. Am I right to conclude that spindles would need a rebuilt after two years?

Jahrastafarai

Re: HElp/advise on Spindle Replacement

Postby Jahrastafarai » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:57 pm

Hi OP
Two years is a shorter time limit to give your spindle. I think the best way to trouble shoot your problem is starting by answering these two questions. Do you ramp in or do you plunge into your wood?

NwBie67

Postby NwBie67 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:01 pm

I am sorry, is it supposed to last longer? This is the first time I am encountering this trouble. :?

Jahrastafarai

Postby Jahrastafarai » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:02 pm

Yeah, kinda.
The truth is plunging is extremely hard on the bearings since spindle motors are specifically designed to withstand lateral pressure other that vertical pressure. Therefore spindles that plunge into wood will require a rebuilt after a short time period.

NwBie67

Postby NwBie67 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:04 pm

So does that mean I should not use the router spindle to drill holes? Or did I miss a point? :oops:

Marksman311

Postby Marksman311 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:08 pm

Contrary to the explanation above, I think doesn’t matter whether you are ramping or plunging with your spindle. Whichever method you use your spindle should be able to last for several years. However, there are a couple of things that would cause a premature spindle wear out. You Can follow AmateurCNC forum so as to learn the cause of spindle failure.
Why procrastinate today? When you can do it tomorrow!

PembertonIII

Postby PembertonIII » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:11 pm

My friend has been using his spindle for eight years and cuts mostly corian which can also be extremely hard on spindles. The spindle has been working perfectly well for the past eight years just until recently that he sent it for a rebuilt. My point is two years is such a short time span for a normal spindle work life. Jahrastafarai has got it right...

Marksman311

Postby Marksman311 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:13 pm

How many hours per day do operate with your machine? Pardon me.
Why procrastinate today? When you can do it tomorrow!

PembertonIII

Postby PembertonIII » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:15 pm

It’s not me but my friend. :D I just asked and he put the range probably an average of 5-6 hours a day and five days a week

_Twain_
Site Admin

Postby _Twain_ » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:18 pm

Helloz felloz,
We cannot rule out the fact that your spindle may also be experiencing some unusual stress. Normally a 12 HP spindle can last at least twice and more likely three or four times the two years you have mentioned cutting normal sheet materials.

Return to “Retrofits, spindles, cooling and attachments”