Retrofits and Attachments for CNC Routers: What they are all about

Retrofits, spindles, cooling and attachments or in general things added to a machine to make it better
HollyMolly

Re: Retrofits and Attachments for CNC Routers: What they are all about

Postby HollyMolly » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:11 pm

HuH? And can this technology of upgrading be possibly applied on a manual machine? Actually asking this quiestion out of sheer curiosity. You know one can always experiment new things as they come.

_Twain_
Site Admin

Postby _Twain_ » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:11 pm

Well it is not rocket science to understand the concept and mechanism behind retrofits for cnc routers and their attachments as well. I once tried doing the installation and took me several hours on the process and I can assure you that this work came out much better than even having a new machine. You are required to follow very simple and clear steps on installation manual and that’s it. So anyone with a half an interest (if there is such a thing) can simply do so. The very first move involves removing the older control and replacing it with a new one.

shaPeoko

Postby shaPeoko » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:13 pm

Yes I have also successfully upgraded my router machine by myself, a few months back. It is running smoothly and I just followed a few guidelines on how to retrofit my machine and that was all. I would recommend anyone as it is a great software that works wonders.

Arapsamoei

Postby Arapsamoei » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:14 pm

Hi, if you don't mind my asking, how'd you do it?
What is the difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers?
Mechanical Engineers build weapons. Civil Engineers build targets.

n1h1l1st

Postby n1h1l1st » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:15 pm

_Twain_ wrote:Well it is not rocket science to understand the concept and mechanism behind retrofits for cnc routers and their attachments as well. I once tried doing the installation and took me several hours on the process and I can assure you that this work came out much better than even having a new machine. You are required to follow very simple and clear steps on installation manual and that’s it. So anyone with a half an interest (if there is such a thing) can simply do so. The very first move involves removing the older control and replacing it with a new one.

I find it hard to reason out with most of you guys and especially the ones who are insisting on upgrading. I still can’t get the need to retrofit your machine for upgrade while you can simply get a new machine with the newest features and more efficient. I just think it will not cost that much after all and still end up with a new machine. Am not actually opposing the idea of upgrading fully but is it necessary really?

Marksman311

Postby Marksman311 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:17 pm

Cylinder.jpg
Cylinder.jpg (56.81 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
Um, well I can agree with you to some extent that it is a good idea to purchase a new machine instead. But looking at the benefits of upgrading rather than purchasing newly changes the whole perspective as a whole.
What most guys are trying to explain is that an upgrade is necessary for machines which are still functioning and when retrofitted it makes them better machines than before.
That way it can save you the time needed to find another efficient machine and also the money to purchase or maybe do the shipping for the newly required machine.
I don’t see why one has to go through all the hassle just to get a new cnc router when there’s an easy option of upgrading an already existing machine. Right? :roll:

And I also think that you will still end up upgrading even a new machine after some time.
Just to add on your comment, retrofits are not that costly and I believe that they are readily available in the market. And as many have said you can entirely do the installation yourself therefore saving on labor costs. You also get to learn some useful skills in the process.
Why procrastinate today? When you can do it tomorrow!

Orion2110

Postby Orion2110 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:34 pm

_Twain_ wrote:Well it is not rocket science to understand the concept and mechanism behind retrofits for cnc routers and their attachments as well. I once tried doing the installation and took me several hours on the process and I can assure you that this work came out much better than even having a new machine. You are required to follow very simple and clear steps on installation manual and that’s it. So anyone with a half an interest (if there is such a thing) can simply do so. The very first move involves removing the older control and replacing it with a new one.

Hi Twain. There are some retrofits that come with some options to choose from and which includes 3 and 5 axis options, a windows and os/2 and operating system options and a thermwood control option. They are all different in their own ways except that they are all meant for upgrading your machine. This is what I understand to my best of knowledge about retrofits.

immortallove

Postby immortallove » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:36 pm

Hey people, I would suggest that you turn the process to a business venture. This upgrading stuff can open some kind of opportunity. If not many, a few people do not want to make that effort in learning the basics and concepts of installation. Either way for those ones who are interested they can turn this whole thing to a business whereby everyone benefits in the process.

Insignia

Postby Insignia » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Well said, get your machine upgrade with someone with the skill and just use a little bit of cash. It costs you less actually and saves you the effort at the same time.

blerberque

Postby blerberque » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:40 pm

Am a dedicated hobbyist for these machines and I can say that the process of installation is actually the easiest. It is a great adventure that gives you the opportunity to explore. Start with simply getting rid of the old control and replace it with a new control. Most of the retrofit kits come with their components assembled which makes it easy to install. Replace the old motors with new ones and finally mount the console as you power it up. That’s the process and it’s not as hectic as one would actually think. If you are a machinist with the love for this work it will be a walk in the park for you.

Return to “Retrofits, spindles, cooling and attachments”