Retrofits and Attachments for CNC Routers: What they are all about

Retrofits, spindles, cooling and attachments or in general things added to a machine to make it better
Alligatore

Retrofits and Attachments for CNC Routers: What they are all about

Postby Alligatore » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:07 pm

After using a CNC router for years, you may notice that some parts have turned all rickety and may probably be causing small issues at work. Some machinists may even want to trade in theirs, or get a new one. What I'm going to talk about here is something far better - especially for the hobby machinists (like me) who tend to get attached to their routers!

Upgrades. Ever loved something so much that you simply get better-performing parts, so as to make its performance improve, albeit marginally? There is a satisfying feeling hearing the 'even; murmur of the mill as it shears away parts of the material. Yeah, that is what I'm talking about. So, join me as we explore those things which makes the die-hard hobby, DIY machinist tick. :lol: :D :P

Chronon

Re: Retrofits and Attachments for CNC Routers: What they are all about

Postby Chronon » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:12 am

Hey, tuning in after a while… I would like to know if there is a specific reason, why you should upgrade. I mean - I only started working the other day but I have never seen machines run better. For the love of all that is holy, why upgrade something which serves your purposes to the right specifications? I'd say it is not an investment that is worthy in the grand economies of scale in a small warehouse. But then, I could be wrong. Please set me in the right path if it is so. Thanks

AudiRX

Postby AudiRX » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:35 am

Hey guys, I think AlmightyJackal has got it. The reason for the upgrades is to ensure that the cnc machine, especially the numerical controls, stays up to date. There might be other reasons for this but I suppose the main reason is to ensure that the machine does not become redundant after being put to application for many years.
Basically, the 'brain' of the cnc is a board which has some integrated circuits within. As the machine works year-in- year out, the components keep wearing out and may need replacements. When you go shopping for the parts, you may come up empty; the nature of the industry nowadays is that technology is evolving very rapidly. Hence, you find the parts are no longer in the market - and it is due to no fault of your's.
My point is that retrofits and attachments are accessories that are necessary in the long run for the machine to be in the best shape for work. The controls, specifically, are the target parts for retrofit kits. I am not sure if I have answered your question sufficiently.

Lambot909

Postby Lambot909 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:03 pm

Let me piggyback on what AudiRX has said : the TL;DR of this explanation is that you might have a good iron, but bad controls. It is sad to operate something like that. It is like driving a Koessinisseg - damn! the spellien is killing me - using a steering wheel from a farm tractor. It does not do justice to both parties. :idea:

Anon1121

Postby Anon1121 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:05 pm

I don’t see why it is necessary to replace the whole of the machine with a new one when you can simply upgrade it which is actually cost efficient and more affordable. What you need to consider at a large extent is whether the mechanics in the machine that are basic are in good working condition. This will determine whether the upgrade is worth it or not.

No one wants to waste their money in which they could have simply replaced with a whole new machine. If you are a businessperson, this is like Entrepreneurship101. Upgrading will highly boost the performance of your machine and save you lots of money. I got my cnc router upgraded and from experience I can say that the rate of production has increased and this has benefited my business largely.

CallingtheMonsters

Postby CallingtheMonsters » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Hey guys. You might be thinking of replacing your old cnc router with a new one as a great idea so as to avoid the unnecessary repair that might not work in the long run. But there is a better idea and I think in my opinion an upgrade is quite vital and is the best way to go actually. It never crossed my mind that a cnc router could actually be upgraded to boost its productivity and performance. It is very possible to change an old machine and simply make it new in a matter of time.

falanyani

Postby falanyani » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:06 pm

Hi Anon1121.
Yeah I agree absolutely that an upgrade is the best option. Retrofits are super-efficient and very flexible. The good thing is that they can be performed in all kinds of different brands of cnc routers. You will be stunned at how an old machine can actually become very new and effective. Retrofits are easy to understand when it comes to usage and very fast too.
And really if you’ve got a machine that is not operating you can easily retrofit replacement components like screws and bearings of the machine to give it a new beginning - just saying. The benefits are getting the same results as a new machine and in which you will not have spent more on purchasing new.

Jain756789

Postby Jain756789 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:07 pm

Wow, this is interesting. I would say that I had no idea about such an upgrading. Although it sounds like it needs an expert to do the necessary retrofits and so. And is that not costly really? Is upgrading that necessary in real sense?

GratefulTuna

Postby GratefulTuna » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:08 pm

Hello peepz; how are you all doing this fine day? Falanyani, what you need to understand is that some machines are better kept no matter which condition they are in. High quality machine deserves to be kept and just upgraded in order to increase their durability and use.

And for some people you might already have developed some sort of attachment with your machine that actually makes it hard to detach yourself from it. The only solution to this is retrofitting your cnc machine. If you have love for your long time machine you will find it much easier to embrace this technology of saving and upgrading your machine instead of replacing it.

falanyani

Postby falanyani » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:09 pm

Nope it does not really need an expert to do the job. You don’t have to pay anyone because you can do it alone. A retrofit kit is bought as a whole and there’s a wide variety of kits to choose from depending on the brand and type your machine is. You are left to make just a few assemblies as the kit comes with an already done integration work on the whole system.

Return to “Retrofits, spindles, cooling and attachments”