Drillbits and Usage

Retrofits, spindles, cooling and attachments or in general things added to a machine to make it better
Anon1121

Drillbits and Usage

Postby Anon1121 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:36 am

:!: Dear members; my buddy and I have been arguing that the frequency of the CNC usage does not have any correlation with the frequency of the changing of the drillbits of the machines. His argument was that the cutting parts are changed depending on the number of hours (time, basically). My argument was that; it depends on the user. If you are a good operator, maintenance will be something done ocassionally. I know I have a solid basis on this. Arbitrators are welcome.

5so95n
Site Admin

Re: Drillbits and Usage

Postby 5so95n » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:39 am

CNC machines have greatly influenced production capabilities. Tasks which were initially viewed as impractical can now be accomplished quickly with high level of accuracy. CNC machine are designed to serve different production needs hence the machine can specialize in a wide range of fabrication projects. For CNC drilling machines such a mills and routers, the type of drill used influences the final output of the material. I AM NOT TAKING ANY SIDES.

digifapper

Postby digifapper » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:37 pm

Most of the industrial drill bits come as either insert or twist drill bits. Insert drill bits are cheap and can be easily replaced when dull. The availability and affordability of these machines eliminates the need for sharpening dull parts. The tools can also function independently without relying on grinding wheel. They are simpler to use and have structural point which centers the drill operations.

The twist bit drill is characterized by a winding, corkscrew flute pattern. Due to the shape of flute, sharpening is done along the tool grinder. Twist drill bits are comparatively cheaper than most insert drills. There is also less chances of producing burrs in an exit hole hence saves time which could have been used for deburring treatment.

BULLDOG

Postby BULLDOG » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:09 am

My turn to shine: When it comes to Metal fabrication drill bits, I have developed a compact summary that I use to educate my friends and fellows.
There are varied drill bits used in metal fabrications. The choice of drill bits for a particular application is dependent on the type of metal being drilled, the work speed required and the work piece thickness. Commonly used metal working drill bits include
Indexable bits
This is an insert drill bit. It is used mostly in computer controlled fabrications. It is characterized by ceramic inserts which acts as cutting edges for both internal and external spans of the cut. It also serves as hardened cutting tip hence reducing the need for re sharpening. Indexable bits drills fasters therefore, can produce holes 5 times the diameter of a drill shaft.
Spade drill bits
A spade drill has two parts; the metal body and a removal bit clamped into a precise slot. A spade bit has a twist format with unique notches along the cutting edge which eliminates the long chips that clog the drilling area. In the case of woodworking, a spade bit is referred as hand tooling device, rather than automated device.

Lambot909

Postby Lambot909 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:11 am

You forgot to mention about the ejector drill bits. I will elaborate about them here. These types of bits are mostly used in drilling deep holes. Single or multiple drilling heads can be equipped during the operation depending on the desired outcome required by the operator.

BULLDOG

Postby BULLDOG » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:12 am

Thanks for that! In addition, Single head bits has one cutting edge on the side hence used for used to produce large radial holes. Multiple head bits on the other hand are used for creating wider diameter holes. Some have brazed carbide tips near the center line which improves cutting balance. :D

samambalele

Postby samambalele » Thu May 07, 2015 6:45 pm

I am curious about the indexable drillbits. Are they adjustable, scalable or what makes them so special?

Villefiere

Postby Villefiere » Thu May 07, 2015 7:17 pm

Hey Sam, these are the most expensive kinds of drill-bits (They cost a lot per diameter and even length.). They are called thus because they have a pair of inserts each. One of the inserts covers the outer radius in the cutting process,while the other one is responsible for maintaining the scope of the inner radius.

The inserts themselves are replaceable you may ask for drillbits with ceramic inserts or carbide inserts - your choice. The inserts act as the cutting face... Welp, I will safely assume that I have answered your question?

AloeVeritas

Postby AloeVeritas » Thu May 07, 2015 7:33 pm

here are the radii that he talks about. You're welcome. :P
Attachments
3.JPG
3.JPG (24.82 KiB) Viewed 1610 times

Mi_amore

Postby Mi_amore » Fri May 08, 2015 7:09 pm

I was thinking more like this,,,
car.JPG