Tribot

topics about 3D printers
AlmightyJackal9735

Re: Tribot

Postby AlmightyJackal9735 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:05 pm

People come in all tastes, shapes, sizes and walks of life. Are you a hobbyist? You might want the fabrication techniques offered by the printers… A 3D printer has an additive fabrication technique which makes uses of a hot plastic extruders to print a plastic model.
On the other hand, CNC machines or router on the other have a subtractive fabrication technique. The technique starts with a solid block of material, and uses a cutter to remove excess materials. Subtractive techniques are more common especially when dealing with wood and metal.

Merdusa

Postby Merdusa » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:13 pm

I agree immensely with the jackal. :| :| :| I would also like to add some useless scraps of info on the different virtues of the good old CNCs. There are other respectable tools in the same class (with subtractive techniques of fabrication) which include lathes, drills, mills, saw, lasers and Vinyl cutters.

Are you worried about CAD and CAM programs? To get any of these program files, you can download them CNC routing machine kit. Version 1.3 is of the best so far. There are also readily available videos online that will guide on every step until you get you tool to run. Even though, the files are licensed specifically under the Creative Commons Attribution –Noncommercial License, you can still make machines for your friend but you cannot sell them.
CAM files are in terms of CamBam format, but there is a free version which can read and write DXF files. Bearing in mind, most good CAM software are expensive and if you want to stick to your budget, look out for the free CamBam which has awesome features.

falanyani

Postby falanyani » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:15 pm

Here are some of the hottest reasons why 3d printers are the way to go in the present times:
#1.Waste minimization
Waste minimization is a problem since a lot of waste is generated in form of dusts, slags during milling. With waste generated, the available material for you is reduced. There is also need for some dust control to prevent dust from flanging throughout the room.
#2.Safety
Any kind of tool be it simple or a complex tool possess some danger in it. It does not go without saying, that milling is risky. Even though, it is possible for a plastic extruder to overheat and catch fire, with CNC machine, there is an additional danger. There is the danger of a spinning blade sending bits of it and in some case your work piece may loss track and start flying on your side. I don’t mean to scare but this is the sweet part with working with machines.
#3.Weight and initial cost
A CNC router is larger and heavier than a 3D printer hence limit individuals from moving around with the machine. In terms of cost, CNC are expensive. It also requires a system for maintaining accuracy when the machine encounters resistance.
Powerful motors are also required to keep the machine running.
#4.Complex software
Developing CNC software is more complex than that of a 3D printer. Since after drawing your object in 3D or CAD modeling program, you will also be require to generate tool paths with CAM software. The process involves specifying dimensions and location of the stock material, travel speed for the axes and spindle and dimensions and features of the end model. For starters, using these tools may pose a great challenge. Go ahead and counter that, all ye non-believers of the 3D!

Merdusa

Postby Merdusa » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:17 pm

I have respectfully noted the points that the OP has introduced. My reply is in no way intended to belittle your insightful observations. But here is my Murican view - slaughter me with your barrage, Falanyani but this right here is the truth>>>
If you are interested in massive production or any self-respecting structural creation, go for a router. Moreover, it is less costly to work with woods than plastics hence higher chances of getting good results.

3DPRO

Postby 3DPRO » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:18 pm

As a previous thread clearly pointed out, the CNC is the king of craftsmanship. It is the soapstone which wheedles away the rough edge of the knife and leaves you with a refined product.
CNC machines are very accurate in their tasks since they have computer guided programs. When it comes to 3D printer accuracy is still questionable and more often their many plastic products still come with accuracy disclaimer.

Manufacturing limitations of the 3D printing - The technique of coming up with products is not the best option on the basis of manufacturing process. It is unrealistic in the date of publication. Case in point, in manufacturing process especially stamping and thermoforming multiple parts are done in one minute not hours as stated by 3Ds.
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

FireCNC

Postby FireCNC » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:20 pm

DIY CNC machines
Choosing CNC milling over 3D printers also has an added advantage. With CNC, you have the opportunity to build your own machine right from Scratch. You can look for all the information you need from varied sites. There are also Videos on how to create your own CNC machine. You won’t miss a step with in this.
Moreover, aluminum angels, screws, bolts are all at your disposal in any neighboring hardware. For Lead screws and anti-backlash, you may order them from the manufacturer or go for cheaper hardware store parts. For stepper motor and drivers they are readily available and you can pick them from any source of your choice. Taking into account, the spindle is an ordinary wood cutter therefore you can make you own or find one in the hardware.
Never let any mechanical device know that you are in a hurry.

3DPRO

Postby 3DPRO » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:43 pm

I just came across 3D printers the other day. We were given simple lessons on their usage and from my observation I could note that they are cheap and much lighter accessories, compared to other cnc machines like router machines and milling machines. If you are interested to purchase a 3d machine especially for manufacturing complicated stuff, just plan yourself accordingly and I am sure you can hit a jackpot on the decision. Any thoughts on this?
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

_Twain_
Site Admin

Postby _Twain_ » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:44 pm

Truedat, 3DPRO - the printers may become one of the most innovative steps made by mankind in the past few years. Hey, I am sitting here wondering if your username reflects your real-life profession. Is that a thing? (I mean being a 3D professional, with all the certifications, the works).

3DPRO

Postby 3DPRO » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:45 pm

I don’t think so haha. I prefer 3D printers to other machines - that is my thing. When I get into online boards which deal with 3D printers, I could be your research - citing machine . They are more affordable, and they don’t waste as much material when working with them. They are also very safe to work with. Your work is unlikely to catch fire as a result of some possible overheating in the process as it happens to some of cnc machines.

PiusMwei

Postby PiusMwei » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:45 pm

Yeah I concur with this. 3D printers are the best so far. The software they use. it uses is very easy to operate with. They come with software pre-installed that enable you to make designs freely - if you know what you are doing. Basically, they are goldmines to people who know what they are doing.

Return to “3D printers”