help me choose a good vertical machining center

Topics about imported CNC routers, machines and engravers from China, india or japan
5so95n
Site Admin

Re: help me choose a good vertical machining center

Postby 5so95n » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:26 am

I think the DIY tool that OP built is meant to compare one machine to another in what stimulate difficulty in cutting condition.

The parts meant to clamp the bed should be tall and the cutter should also be long enough so as to amplify weakness. Thus you can apply and measure loads to 500lbs.
If you are going to use the tool to measure the individual elements of the machine rather than the whole system, there are a number of things you should change
#1 Ensure that all parts precisions are ground square and flat.
#2 Replace the dial indicator with a scale so as to connect to a data collection system.
#3 A 3D laser measuring system should be connected to a separate target on the part of your machine to allow you to see the direction of movement as different loads are applied.
#4 Replace the main pivot bearing and the pillow block bearing with the precision angular contact bearings.
#5 Ensure that you carry out a circular interpolation at each load to observe different deflections as the directions of the axis drives change. If you apply a load to the ball screw then your electric drives will have poor stiffness.

0.98-0000000g

Postby 0.98-0000000g » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:28 am

I think the only test that has been done to the tool interface stiffness has been with quick change tooling. I have been a CNC machinist for two months now and I know I have not learnt everything, so I stand to be corrected.

Anon1121

Postby Anon1121 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:32 am

I worked with Badog Company first as an employee for over five years and now am their customer. I recommend you a high end Badog machine. The machine has a good product support and excellent spindle; the different series and are good machines. In my opinion, Haas machines are expensive machines but eventually the machine pays back. Badog are not so costly, but they payback as well.

shaPeoko

Postby shaPeoko » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:35 am

I would recommend Matsuura and Nakamura Lathes for your lathe machines. Last I checked, Methods Machine Tools was the only US distributor and were selling lathe machines too.

Adept

Postby Adept » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:37 am

Thanks everyone for your generous contribution towards this forum. After going through your diverse opinions, I think we won’t be going for a Haas machine. I have an impression that Haas is not such a bad machine after all but it fails when it comes to the spindle. I will consult other individuals in the shop and we will make the final decision.
The forum is not yet closed, so you can just chip in your ideas anytime.

digifapper

Postby digifapper » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:40 am

Currently, we have 1 Chiron and 2 Haas machines. I have been a CNC service Engineer for 2 years for a major machine tool company. My work mostly involves programming, running and preparing mostly every CNC machine and control in the company. So in my opinion, Haas machines are cheaper compared to other machines. The point is Haas parts are cheaper than even parts for the German and Jap machines. Our company runs 24/7 and the problem will encounter are just normal given the conditions there are exposed to.

CaptainF

Postby CaptainF » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:53 am

I agree with you pal, we have been running our Haas machine for 3 years independently. If you are dealing with plastic and other soft materials or you are doing low power requirement machining, Haas can be cost effective machine to use. We carry out small lot quantity usually 1 to 10pc and in some few cases the amount of material removed is more than what is left. Usually we do not spent much time playing with programing and tooling when we are dealing with low volume parts.

Using 2 or 3 times as many cuts to the parts simply doesn’t add up.
Whenever you are running 24/7 that is high volume parts it pays if you look for a good HMC instead of spending much time trying to optimizing the process. Still I think the output of one operator and a machine is less than a couple of machines and operators combined. So you may have to consider this as you are still contemplating on the decision to take.

augustusjuliuscaesar

Postby augustusjuliuscaesar » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:55 am

Personally, I would like to point out that Haas machines are 20hp with 40 taper and are easy to program. We have used Mazak for a while but I think it doesn’t beat Haas. We still write programs and do set-up’s as much as we are running 24/7. However, Haas machines are not table routers for machining plastic or are soft materials so underestimate their capabilities. This is my opinion so don’t just sit there mummed say something. Thanks.

Pronto

Postby Pronto » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:01 am

Currently, our company runs 6 Badogs and we deal with almost everything right from plastic to titanium though mostly we deal with high strength steel. Generally, I have never come across any problem in the machines that you would not expect in other machines.
In the market however with the machine, we rip up a lot of metal and with the correct end mills we still manage to hold some tight tolerances.

shaPeoko

Postby shaPeoko » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:03 am

The bottom line is the machine isn’t that lump just like most fellas have remarked; hey Come on give the machine some credit.

Return to “Imported CNC routers and engravers”