Best Lathe Indexing Tools

Topics about imported CNC routers, machines and engravers from China, india or japan
BenedictA

Best Lathe Indexing Tools

Postby BenedictA » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:38 pm

Greetings guys,
I am desperately searching and in need of a lathe index tool but I am not sure of the best one to have. I have always had my work done with the help of brazed TCT tools but all I have experienced is pain as I have to ensure that they are sharpened almost every week , add the cost of sharpening and the transport cost to and fro at the end of every week.

:x :x :x They also got a week turn around. :x :x :x

This idea of having an index tool would imply that it is possible for me to have a different tip when it is required. So, if you take a look at the tips, it is possible to turn them around and have the other end use. Others also have three points.
Is there someone with any idea on the best tool to go for? Don’t forget to give the reasons for your recommendation….
Great regards….

Jeezman

Re: Best Lathe Indexing Tools

Postby Jeezman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:45 pm

hello…
My first option always goes to Badog – they have absolutely wonderful tools.
http://www.badog.ch/en/cnc-shop/tools/v ... ducts.html
I was once lucky to get myself a very nice selection of triangular tips while working as a Turner. I managed to make two holders that best suited my Elliot Emcomat some years back. However, I now days stick much on the HSS 10mm square bits.
You can also check at the Chronos for a smart selection of tools. You will definitely not miss them at their site.
You must be doing some serious work so the making such an investment is actually worthy. Tips can be a bit expensive but you cannot price convenience.

3DPRO

Postby 3DPRO » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:47 pm

Some decent lathe tools and tips of multiple sizes are sold by the JB Cutting Tools. Try them. Badog and HSS are good because it is easy to touch it up yourself. The indexable tips are however nice to use.
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

BenedictA

Postby BenedictA » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:50 pm

Thanks good people! Some awesome suggestions and so fast! 3DPRO, what are your reasons? :mrgreen:

phi

Postby phi » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:52 pm

Why don’t you just get the grinder and try learning how to sharpen them by yourself?

BenedictA

Postby BenedictA » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:54 pm

phi wrote:Why don’t you just get the grinder and try learning how to sharpen them by yourself?

For several years, though it didn’t give me an ideal finish on a carbide cutter, I had green stone on a bench grinder; I manually finished the tips using a diamond hone. :oops:
I recently moved to using indexed cutters. Well I still use the HSS and given the range of the carbide inserts at disposal, the negative debate about them is somehow disappearing. If you probably do not have time to waste, then it would be great if you can be able to have an n index tip part way through a task without having any lose on the job zero your DRO. :cry: :cry: :roll:

phi

Postby phi » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:56 pm

Well, Some few weeks ago I acquired my first set of lathe tools. A single 12mm indexable tool goes for about $ 18 on eBay. Also, a set of seven coming with a parting tool and going for $ 40 Aliexpress was delivered on the sixth day even though the delivery had been estimated to occur in 4 weeks time.

I also got some bargain Kennametal tips on eBay. I managed to have a stainless steel grade and standard grade. They both cost $7.99 for every box of 5 that is delivered.

But I agree, those established suppliers are more reliable - take it from me. :ugeek:

L'amp

Postby L'amp » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:00 pm

Wow !! That sounds super cheap!

Xhia

Postby Xhia » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:01 pm

It is hard to actually make a mistake with CC-T insert holders for smaller lathes given that there is a good compromise between the insert choice and the cutting angles. It is good to have smaller inserts if you are getting a somehow boring bar as it decreases the number of inserts types/sizes that you should have. You however can use the insert size of your choice.
You are most probably must be looking for a SCLCR holder. This is the most flexible and resourceful tool when it comes facing/turning. Personally, I never bother using the triangular inserts unless only for threading. This because they are not that versatile and in 12mm shank sizes you have a limit of 11 inserts, something which not that common.
Though it is not recommended, you can still choose to use the tools in other directions. (Take a look at the grooving section if you want any insert parting tools. APT’s grooving/multi-direction WDN insert tools are very good).

BenedictA

Postby BenedictA » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:04 pm

Guys, I am getting somehow confused, the following tools are there and I am not getting the difference. SCLCR, DCMT, CCMT. I am also using the quick change toolpost and will probably take 12mm tools.

Return to “Imported CNC routers and engravers”