Building a Hobby CNC Router

Small hobby routers and mills like the Badog, Artisan, CNC-shop, isel, k2, charly robot advice and experiences
Chacha

Building a Hobby CNC Router

Postby Chacha » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:55 am

Hi fellow hobbyists
I am green in this filed. I am about to build a hobby CNC router but i am a bit confused on which design to go for. Which one would you guys advice me to build between the Stationary Gantry, Mobile bed and the Mobile Gantry,Stationary bed?
Regards
Chacha!

Kipropvincent

Re: Building a Hobby CNC Router

Postby Kipropvincent » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:26 am

Chacha wrote:Hi fellow hobbyists
I am green in this filed. I am about to build a hobby CNC router but i am a bit confused on which design to go for. Which one would you guys advice me to build between the Stationary Gantry, Mobile bed and the Mobile Gantry,Stationary bed?
Regards
Chacha!

This is a good question Chacha. I will answer it in the way I have understood, that is by given the advantages or disadvantages of these two types. If you are looking into building a small compact router that is not too difficult to build, then you can used the mobile bed option. This design offers a very rigid gantry but will limit you in terms of the size.
For the mobile gantry (the most popular design among the hobbyists) you will have a limitless size given that the whole gantry will be moving along the X-axis. This design has earned its popularity because it is very versatile. If you want to build a bigger machine, then this is the design for you.

Some

Postby Some » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:33 am

I would also say that you should choose a design that is geared towards you needs. do you want a small machine or a big one. The only disadvantage with the mobile gantry design is that it will be hard to build alight machine at the end.

Chacha

Postby Chacha » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:41 am

Thank you guys for the information. I want a small and light machine. That means I am going for the Mobile bed design. Now what are the other things that I need to consider in my project other than the design, cutting area and the size of the machine (in this case I have taken a small size)?

Tsunami

Postby Tsunami » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:41 pm

Hi Chacha. There is the obvious factor that you can’t fail to consider long even before you decide on the design of the machine that you want to build. That is the materials available. Get the right materials plus the other important factors and you are good to go.

FireCNC

Postby FireCNC » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:55 pm

There are actually a lot of things to consider some are very detailed. Things like the properties of the materials you intend to use. You will need to know how to calculate several mathematical models including deflection. Unless you are just building a hobby router which is a small as a drill motor. You need to be well equipped withal the basics.
Never let any mechanical device know that you are in a hurry.

Chacha

Postby Chacha » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:57 pm

Hey guys! I thought this was going to be simple. Seems I am far the start. My tools are still wanting.

vinkiP

Postby vinkiP » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:02 pm

Chacha wrote:Hey guys! I thought this was going to be simple. Seems I am far the start. My tools are still wanting.

Hey Chacha. Do not be scared. Limited tools do not mean you can’t build your machine. You can even build a hobby router as small as a hand saw.

novelshy

Postby novelshy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:12 pm

Hi guys, can somebody here tell me the difference between accuracy and precision please? I can’t tell apart between the two.

vinkiP

Postby vinkiP » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:18 pm

Chacha wrote:Thank you guys for the information. I want a small and light machine. That means I am going for the Mobile bed design. Now what are the other things that I need to consider in my project other than the design, cutting area and the size of the machine (in this case I have taken a small size)?

Consider you “pocket” too. What really made you want to make your own router? Is it not the fact that you were not able to buy one? That’s why you need to consider the budget. If you are not careful you will spent more than you would have spent in buying an already made machine.

Return to “Small hobby routers and CNC mills”