What to look for in a router!

Small hobby routers and mills like the Badog, Artisan, CNC-shop, isel, k2, charly robot advice and experiences
FayZa

What to look for in a router!

Postby FayZa » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:33 am

Hi
I am intending to purchase some routers for my workshop. I would like to know the features tha I should look for before buying a router.
Any help please?

Probot

Re: What to look for in a router!

Postby Probot » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:04 pm

This is a very good thread. I have been dealing with routers for some time now and I know of a few things that one will need to consider before acquiring any router.
One of the things that you should take into account is the ability of the router to vary speed. It’s important that you purchase a router that will allow you to produce bits of all sizes. This requires that your routers have variable speed controls. Mid to high speed will work well small bits while large bits will require slower speeds.
And then there is this feature that I consider it somehow subtle. It’s a clever way to play around with you router. That is Soft start. Soft start will ensure that the router accelerates slowly once you turn on. Without it, the router will swing to maximum speed when you power it up.

maroaSam

Postby maroaSam » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:06 pm

Let me contribute something to this thread. I believe that one should also consider the EFC (electronic feedback circuitry). This feature prevents the motor from stalling. It controls the load that you will place on the motor. It also puts some adjustment to the torque output.

yesman

Postby yesman » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:08 pm

FayZa wrote:Hi
I am intending to purchase some routers for my workshop. I would like to know the features tha I should look for before buying a router.
Any help please?

I have seen a lot of routers that use two wrenches to help in bit changes. But today’s routers should have a spindle lock. With this, you will only require one wrench for the collet. Spindle lock will help hole the motor shaft in place.

yesman

Postby yesman » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:09 pm

Then there is this feature that most woodworkers should clearly identify. You router should allow you to adjust the cutting height. This will make table routing more accurate and convenient.
Last edited by yesman on Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bh440k

Postby Bh440k » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:18 pm

I also tend to think that your router should be designed such that it can allow for extension of the collet above the table. This will allow you to change bits easily. You will not need to lift out the machine.

FayZa

Postby FayZa » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:25 pm

Thanks so much for your input guys. I now believe that I can go shopping :D :D
Am sure to get good routers for my workshop.
Cheers...

Leuitenant

Postby Leuitenant » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:31 pm

yesman wrote:I have seen a lot of routers that use two wrenches to help in bit changes. But today’s routers should have a spindle lock. With this, you will only require one wrench for the collet. Spindle lock will help hole the motor shaft in place.

I must confess that I have learned a lot from this thread. I normally go for any router without considering these features that you guys have stated. What i didn't understand is how the spindle lock can replace the wrenches. A little explanation would do..

Return to “Small hobby routers and CNC mills”