#Please Advise: Should I buy a new CNC machine or a used CNC machine?

Small hobby routers and mills like the Badog, Artisan, CNC-shop, isel, k2, charly robot advice and experiences
parityplatypus

Re: #Please Advise: Should I buy a new CNC machine or a used CNC machine?

Postby parityplatypus » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:21 pm

Ugh, don't get me started. Gather around for a story - and listen and learn. Two years have now passed since I bought a used CNC machine. The machine was cheap though it had been used for 3-4 years. Honestly, the machine has never given me a piece of mind. The machine constantly breaks down, making me to set it back up and mostly find some replacements.

Generally, it has cost me invaluable time and cost. I have gone through an awful experience but I have learnt my mistakes. I will share with you the moral lesson, if you are thinking of purchasing a used machine; it should not have been used for more than two years. Always try a brand new machine. Never again. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Dilemma

Postby Dilemma » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:25 pm

Hey, that was quite a story. Sorry for your experience man. Too bad you learned the hard way. Thanks for letting me know - I will definitely be alert. What should I look out for; any red flags?

Marksman311

Postby Marksman311 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:27 pm

I should add on what everyone has said about the price. Okay, for either a used or a new CNC machine, inquire about the cost of professional installation, setup and training. If you happen to have a professional installer or maintenance and software guru on staff, it is the best since you will have to leave out the cost of training.
The best thing to do is to contact the manufacturer to seek clarification whether training on the machine is offered at the cost of training. I would simply say, do the math and pick your machine. You don’t want to spend more money if you are on a budget.
Why procrastinate today? When you can do it tomorrow!

cocodancer

Postby cocodancer » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:31 pm

I am neutral here, OP. I bet that what is important is in making sure your machine runs successfully, is understanding the basic practice. Fortunately, there are so many cool places to find resourceful information about CNC machines and their programming as well.

The trick is gaining the basic knowledge of the operating unit and I promise you will make the most out of it. My point is it doesn’t matter whether it is a first hand or a second hand CNC machine, learn the trick and maximize the potentiality of your machine.

FireCNC

Postby FireCNC » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:42 pm

:!: Hi OP, I think what is more important is to understand the benefits of purchasing a used vs old; which is basically the price. For autos, this might count as a big discount.

:!: However, I doubt if there will be a big margin in the CNC industry. Do you have an idea of where to get a new machine yet? For some people, they may just be getting rid of the old machine for personal or financial reasons.

:!: The new one, of course, takes home the award.

:!: I have to mention the fact that purchasing a CNC machine could be a costly affair that sometimes leaves unprepared investors in deep financial turmoil. It is not worthy it for you to experience the same situation.

:!: At least, ensure that you have a solid plan that has been through scrutiny and vetting before committing yourself to the responsibility.
For investors who do not have enough money to get a brand new CNC machine, you do not need to panic.

:!: Luckily, there are multiple of stores that sell high quality second hand machines, you just need to identify where they are located and make your order. You also could always build your own, the hardcore way.
Never let any mechanical device know that you are in a hurry.

Dilemma

Postby Dilemma » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:51 pm

#Wow, that is a really concise summary. Thank you people. Cheers,FireCNC,cocodancer,marksman,platypus, pizza and all others for the valuable input. I appreciate - I have decided I'll go check out a Badog, as suggested by 5so95n. I have not yet gotten a hold of anyone with a used CNC, but I'm still on the lookout. Anyone here with a used one?

Dilemma

Postby Dilemma » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:40 pm

Thanks everyone for your contribution. It has been a cool forum all through. Feel free to add more and more ideas in the anytime.

Luvdit

Postby Luvdit » Sun May 24, 2015 5:47 pm

Treat it like a car. Don't buy until you are sure that it is in an immaculate condition. Make sure to go with someone experienced as you go inspecting it. If the deal sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

M3ndoza

Postby M3ndoza » Thu May 28, 2015 7:52 am

Oh, I could write a story on this. My brother bought a chinese machine (was it stepmores?) about 4 years ago - from eBay. I told him to go directly to the company and get it from them (because of the support, manuals, warranty, etc.) but he was adamant because he said that the dealer was offering him a sweet deal. It was a discount of 750 and, as you know, 750 euros is 750 Euros. So, he went ahead and bought it.

The dealer emailed with him for a few weeks before dissapearing. My bro did not have everything necessary for operations then (he had problems on the budget not even afford some new servos) so he left it covered with a polyethene wrapper in the garage, collecting dust.
Fast forward to two years ago and bro got around to running the stepmores thing again but it won't balk. HE pours more than a thousand but no, it is not enough he needs this part and that part is not compatible.

Right now, we have only ever machined less than 10 chips. No kidding. My bro is still tinkering around with it - no kidding. I have told him to sell the machine over and over again. He is not balking.

Breathe

Postby Breathe » Thu May 28, 2015 9:57 am

I feel for your brother. I hope he turns things around, sounds like a good person.

Return to “Small hobby routers and CNC mills”