#Please Advise: Should I buy a new CNC machine or a used CNC machine?

Small hobby routers and mills like the Badog, Artisan, CNC-shop, isel, k2, charly robot advice and experiences
Dilemma

#Please Advise: Should I buy a new CNC machine or a used CNC machine?

Postby Dilemma » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:50 pm

Hi everyone. I am in a dilemma; I want to get a CNC machine for my shop. I know a used CNC machine is also one of the possibilities, but I know it has some pros and cons. What are the things I should consider with regard to these machines? Should I go for a used or a new machine?

_Twain_
Site Admin

Re: #Please Advise: Should I buy a new CNC machine or a used CNC machine?

Postby _Twain_ » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:54 pm

Hi, what is your price range? specifications? What do you need it for? (sorry)

Villefiere

Postby Villefiere » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:56 pm

Hi. It goes without saying that CNC machines play a crucial role in manufacturing companies by ensuring that operations go smooth. Therefore, if you are planning to install a brand new CNC machine, be prepared to spend money. The other option is that you can cut down cost of the machine by buying a used CNC machine.

T3hTig3r

Postby T3hTig3r » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:59 pm

Yeah, the price of the machine is very important. Why go for a second hand machine if you can afford a brand new one? Or buy a new machine when you can buy one which is as good as new?

Dilemma

Postby Dilemma » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:00 pm

This is my question :) #

5so95n
Site Admin

Postby 5so95n » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:02 pm

Be keen on the basics of a CNC machine before deciding which type of machine to go for. There are many manufactures in the market who would claim what their product is when it isn’t. You do not want to go home with a used CNC machine when you actually paid for a new one. Take time to understand the CNC machines before going for your purchase. Goodluck!

Dilemma

Postby Dilemma » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:05 pm

#5so95n wrote: You do not want to go home with a used CNC machine when you actually paid for a new one. Take time to understand the CNC machines before going for your purchase. Goodluck!

If you don't mind my asking, are there any specific manufacturers I should go for/avoid?

5so95n
Site Admin

Postby 5so95n » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:11 pm

As a matter of fact, I would recommend Badog CNC. They are the best, in my opinion - as I have experienced them myself. As for the manufacturers you should avoid, unfortunately I am not in a position to say which is which - I have never used others. My words of caution is that there are unscrupulous people out there who would sell you bad merchandise, be they CNC machines or otherwise.

Dilemma

Postby Dilemma » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:13 pm

ok thanks :)

Mailmepizza

Postby Mailmepizza » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:14 pm

Here are some quick tips for you just in case you chose a used CNC machine. First, you should take into account the age of the CNC machine. An older CNC machine will cost you more time and money in getting the controller software up to date. Usually, the software will require you to obtain an annual license fee. I would strongly advise you to find out what it will cost to get the software updated and whether it is still supported before purchasing a used CNC machine.

Secondly, you should take into consideration the mileage. Here, you should find out how difficult or easy it is to get the replacement parts for your CNC machine and the total cost required to purchase, ship and install the machine.

Return to “Small hobby routers and CNC mills”