How do i increase speed?

Small hobby routers and mills like the Badog, Artisan, CNC-shop, isel, k2, charly robot advice and experiences
IdrinkBreakfluids

How do i increase speed?

Postby IdrinkBreakfluids » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:05 pm

Greetings all,
I have a shopmaster with center x axis ballcrew and would like to push up the x and y axis velocity as well as acceleration settings in my mach 3 motor turning. I was able to get to 55 in/min and 2 for acceleration on the x axis in mill mode/ z in lathe mode and 35 in/min and 2 for acceleration on y in mill mode and x in lathe mode. Can i be able to push the others any further?
Thank you

e80euj2229

Re: How do i increase speed?

Postby e80euj2229 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:13 am

Hello Breakfluids, I am not really answering the question but merely offering a suggestion... I think you should slow down a bit here because if you have too much speed when cutting you will lose steps and that is for sure.

CallingtheMonsters

Postby CallingtheMonsters » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:27 am

Hi,

Actually, those ratios aren't ideal even. One solution would be to re-wire the connections to the motors. Older machines like those will have bipolar series connections, which will provide the end speeds which aren't even ideal. I advice you to change the connections to parallel - they will work well this way. Best wishes!

CallingtheMonsters

Postby CallingtheMonsters » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:36 am

Oh - to explain more in detail and add something - the desired result here is to make sure that there is more torque when you are at these higher speeds, so as not to lose the steps mentioned by your pal eubji*. *Sorry I cannot recall the name at the top of my head.

In addition to this, the logic behind wiring the motors this way is to increase the current draw hence to drive the motors with more juice - hence the more torque. I have never heard of anything bad happening because of this.

Now, if you take my advice, prepare to budget for more stuff. First, you will also have to do a makeover of the resistors on the drive - so that you get a ration of 1:1 on the screw drives.

I say this because when you mentioned the godawful ratio on the NEMA, I thought -poor you - you are asking too much from them, if they are still connected in series. Call to my attention if there is anything I have missed.

ProCNC

Postby ProCNC » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:59 pm

CallingtheMonsters wrote: make sure that there is more torque when you are at these higher speeds, so as not to lose the steps .

Sorry to say this but i needed to make it clear that torque does not add anything as far as the precision of the machine is concerned.

Return to “Small hobby routers and CNC mills”