Some Tips for Building Your Own CNC Machine

DIY (do it yourself) homemade cnc machines advice and builds
AudiRX

Some Tips for Building Your Own CNC Machine

Postby AudiRX » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:09 pm

You can make your own CNC machine. It is not exactly rocket science. It is also very cheap. There are thousands of plans and steps that are required when for DIY machines; however there are also many sites which offer information on how to accomplish this task. The task left for you is to come to terms on the type of machine you want to build. Here, I elaborate the checklist for making the machines.
The steps are simpler than you imagine and enable you to create a DIY CNC on a budget.

- Decide on the device you want
It is easy to start by thinking what you want the machine to do for you then later, the type of machine that can perform that task. Do you want the machine for milling, routing, cutting or lathing? You can build your machine for a variety of materials.

- Get the correct components
Ensure you get the correct components for you devices. You can find this information online if you are not sure of what to go for. Bearing in mind, parts required by machines are different depending on the line of work they perform. For instance, the parts you require to build a driven foam are different from those a grinding machine.

- Make use of the available resources
Are there locally available materials which you can source? Even better. You can use the engine of an old computer to build your machine. How? You can use Dot matrix to build a milling machine. The only thing you will be required to do is to erase some parts of the different places to make the computer functional.

Moreover, if you missed the engine of an old Dot matrix, you can still find parts readily available from different manufacturers. There are also blogs, forums and other resourceful information for your DIY machine. More so, if you are a quick learner, there are also video that show you how to create the machine.

- Have sufficient knowledge on circuits and computer software (You may have to learn online for this, self-taught people are some of the best operators and entrepreneurs). :D :D
People who built their DIY machines on varied need to know about circuits, computers and software. A good knowledge on how to put things together is also appropriate. Taking into consideration, some Do- it yourself "gurus" are just amateurs. You what you are dealing with or go through various sites to be on the safe side. Keep on the lookout here on Amateurcnc and you will come across some wonderfully detailed projects you can borrow a leaf from.

- Don’t be limited by your imagination
Don’t limit the type of machine you can build to your imagination. More often, people focus on routing and milling tables. You can also find online information on CNC modification to get plasma, foam cutters and lathe plans.
If you are a hobbyist, a mini CNC machine maybe appropriate for you since it fits on your desk or table and works by use of your computer.
You can find these projects on instructable.com. There projects are written by experts and has pictures of each step to guide you on your operation.
TL;DR: Get creative and get started.

FireCNC

Re: Some Tips for Building Your Own CNC Machine

Postby FireCNC » Fri May 08, 2015 6:28 am

Beautifully written. Neat piece of work.
Never let any mechanical device know that you are in a hurry.

AudiRX

Postby AudiRX » Fri May 08, 2015 6:33 am

Thanks a lot!

Kalou

Postby Kalou » Fri May 08, 2015 6:36 am

AudiRX wrote:.

- Decide on the device you want
It is easy to start by thinking what you want the machine to do for you then later, the type of machine that can perform that task. Do you want the machine for milling, routing, cutting or lathing? You can build your machine for a variety of materials.

Kalou

Postby Kalou » Fri May 08, 2015 6:38 am

I suppose there is a limit to the kind of CNC you can build.The heavy machines (long table surface, etc) are better if they are bought from the dealers, as opposed to the small hobby machines.

Niberzxt

Postby Niberzxt » Fri May 08, 2015 6:48 am

About learning about circuit boards - you can also make them yourself (the PCB Boards) - it takes a little tutorial and you are set. You can watch it here
pcb.JPG
pcb.JPG (40.23 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
:

Marksman311

Postby Marksman311 » Fri May 08, 2015 4:42 pm

This is really awesome! Way to go!!!
Why procrastinate today? When you can do it tomorrow!

Kalou

Postby Kalou » Fri May 08, 2015 4:44 pm

wow is there a way I can make this a viable business? Like starting my own line of electronics whose motherboards are from my firm? 8-) This is freaking good!

Giza

Postby Giza » Fri May 08, 2015 4:45 pm

Are you me? I was thinking in the exact same line! :o

Lambot909

Postby Lambot909 » Fri May 08, 2015 4:47 pm

You two should partner and I will be the project coordinator. I will be there when history is being created. :D :D :D

Return to “DIY cnc machines and Builds”